Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ovarian dermoid cyst - any recommendations for a private surgeon in London?

(5 Posts)
Fagin99 Tue 20-Sep-16 14:26:40

I've been diagnosed via ultrasound with a benign dermoid ovarian cyst (about 6 cm) on my right ovary. The specialist who did the scan explained that it would benefit from being removed, especially as I am hoping to have children in the future.

I'll be honest - I'm absolutely terrified at the prospect of surgery (I keep having nightmares! Even though I'm bloody lucky and it's benign) and I'm therefore eager to get a well recommended surgeon (I'm also very lucky in that I have private health insurance). I was just wondering if anyone has had this surgery themselves and would recommend anyone in London? I've been looking into going to Dr Alan Farthing (he is the Queen's Gynaecologist and I figure that they may have done the hard work for me in finding the best!) but I can't seem to find many reviews for him.

Many thanks for your help Ladies - I just want this over with!

sufferingicecakes Thu 22-Sep-16 08:10:28

I do not have experience of this personally, but I had a friend who had one removed. She used the NHS and I know she was upset afterwards as she wished she had seen someone who had more experience of fertility preservation. She did have a baby but was menopausal by late 30s. I think there may have been other issues too however.

Dr Alan Farthing seems lovely when you see him on TV, but an alternative may be someone who works at one of the London fertility clinics.

Best wishes, the thought of an op can be terrifying at first (I've had several gynea type ops) but really, once you are out you know nothing about it and are being brought round what seems like minutes later. Pain control is usually excellent.

NicknameUsed Thu 22-Sep-16 08:17:10

I would keep an open mind about who does the op. See an NHS consultant as well as a private one.

One of my friends has had several ops done in a private hospital. The doctors have all been NHS doctors working extra hours to top up their salaries. The difference was that my friend had a private room and better food.

The most important issue here is to have someone with lots of experience regardless of whether they are private or NHS.

FuckyNell Thu 22-Sep-16 08:22:58

I can recommend Andreas Lesseps. I have been seeing him for 20 years on and off, for gynae stuff but not what you have. He has a clinic at London Bridge hispital although I see him at Fawkham manor in Kent. He used to consult on the nhs but I don't know if he still does. Anyway he's lovely and very efficient.

Fagin99 Thu 22-Sep-16 17:17:44

Thank you everyone for your help, it's very much appreciated. I agree -I think someone who is an expert in fertility issues is beneficial and I take your point about the NHS.

I just need to stop putting it off I think. It's silly but I think I'm more scared of the anaesthetic than the actually surgery?! Probably sounds silly. It will be such a relief though when it's done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now