Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Motion sickness

(31 Posts)
MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Mon 19-Sep-16 17:38:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

allthekingsshoes Mon 19-Sep-16 17:39:45

Sickness bands? They work for me

Watto1 Mon 19-Sep-16 17:44:55

I suffer on buses too. You have my sympathy. I find that sitting on the seat that is higher than the one in front helps. The one towards the back up a step if you get me!? Either there or the very front seat on the top deck. Obviously this depends on how busy your bus is. I also find that I'm much worse if I am hungry. Something savoury like a bag of crisps helps.

Have you tried the travel bands? They don't work for me but loads of people swear by them.

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Mon 19-Sep-16 18:12:01

NickyEds Mon 19-Sep-16 18:18:24

I have some amazing travel sickness pills- I'll look up the name for you. I got them on prescription as I suffer from terrible travel sickness. Do you drive at all? The doctor said that repeated short journeys is the only thing she's known to overcome it and that seems to be true- my travel sickness was much better when I was at school and took a 45 minutes bus journey then got much worse over a period when I worked from home. You might find that you get used to it and it stops being a problem over time- crap in the short term though.

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Mon 19-Sep-16 18:40:09

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Tue 20-Sep-16 20:04:51

CwtchMeQuick Tue 20-Sep-16 20:19:48

I'd ask the doctor to prescribe you something. I also find that eating something like a few crackers once I stop moving helps settle the nausea faster than not eating. Try not to let yourself get too warm and sip ice cold water if you can. Always keep a carrier bag on you as I find I'm much worse if I feel sick and I'm worried about throwing up down myself. You have my sympathies, travel sickness is awful.

CwtchMeQuick Tue 20-Sep-16 20:39:10

Another thing I've just thought of is sucking a strong mint or chewing an extra ice chewing gum, seems to help ward of nausea

Watto1 Tue 20-Sep-16 21:02:12

Stugeron tablets work well for me but I'm not sure if they should be taken on a daily basis? Maybe a pharmacist could advise?

JudgeEpantz Tue 20-Sep-16 21:07:25

Retry the wrist bands- I get nauseous on the bus.

turtlesallthewaydown Tue 20-Sep-16 21:08:40

Also try sitting in the middle of the bus. You'll experience less up and down movement than at the front or back.
You have my sympathy, it's horrible.

NickyEds Tue 20-Sep-16 21:28:59

They are called Cinnarizine. I think they are the same active drug as some over the counter stuff but a higher dose so needed a prescription. Not sure if you can take them every day so you'd have to ask your gp but I've found them to be excellent. I had Metoclopamide before that as I was breast feeding and they weren't as good. I get really travel sick, I have been known to throw up after a 15 minute car journey, it's awful and you have my sympathies sad. My gp was really understanding-I was worried that she would think it's trivial.

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Tue 20-Sep-16 22:02:30

NickyEds Tue 20-Sep-16 22:09:01

I also find headphones with music on help with it op.

LivingInMidnight Wed 21-Sep-16 17:56:27

I have to have an open window or I get really close to throwing up. It really annoys some passengers though. Don't read and try looking out of the window.

I have smelling salts in my pocket all the time. I don't know how well they work but it makes me feel better knowing I have them. Also agree about mints and music.

Saying that though I can get motion sickness from looking at vertical blinds or shelves or a variety of things that form a pattern confused. So there might be something else going on there.

EstelleRoberts Wed 21-Sep-16 17:58:21

The wrist bands should work but only if you put them in the right place. Most people site them too high. If you press the area between the two tendons the right spot should feel tender.

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Wed 21-Sep-16 21:38:24

Watto1 Thu 22-Sep-16 17:28:14

How did you get on Malcolm?

Ememem84 Thu 22-Sep-16 17:31:13

Try ginger too.

And make sure you sit on the right side (the drivers side). I suffer if I sit on the other side in cars etc - something to do with being able to see what the driver sees....

I sympathise travel sickness is awful sad

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Thu 22-Sep-16 19:17:26

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Fri 23-Sep-16 18:52:21

Branleuse Fri 23-Sep-16 18:59:49

try just taking a generic antihistamine, such as cetirizine or loratidine - just the cheap ones you can get in poundland or anywhere. I find they work really well for travel sickness. You dont need to buy the expensive travel sickness pills

Branleuse Fri 23-Sep-16 19:00:59

and those antihistamines are non-drowsy so shouldnt send you to lala land like kwells or stugeron can

Watto1 Fri 23-Sep-16 21:52:27

Glad there was some improvement! I've suffered for years and it's not funny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now