Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lack of period when stressed - serious relaxation suggestions?

(2 Posts)
user1473688741 Mon 12-Sep-16 15:25:20

My periods seemed to be getting less frequent into my 20s and when I did get one the cramps and pain were unbearable. After extensive blood tests/scans I was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries.

The weird thing is, after not getting a period for 6 months - the day I was diagnosed I got my period. (Literally 30 minutes after seeing the doctor). She thinks it could be down to psychological worry/stress and finally getting an answer triggered it. Almost like my brain telling my body everything was going to be okay. This has now happened twice after visiting my doctor (who was really excellent but now retired).

I went on to handle my POCS by eating healthy, exercising and seemed to get my period every 2/3 months, so everything was great for a while.

However it's been about 5 months since my last period and it's been quite a stressful time with big changes going on elsewhere in my life.

I was wondering if anyone's experienced anything similar or has any tips or reliable and good links relaxation/meditation techniques that could help (or other suggestions).

I'm not great at handling stress, I let it build up in my head and don't deal with it properly. I think I'm also in a vicious cycle of worrying about not being able to have children if lack of period carries on, which is probably making it less likely to come!

Thanks

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 12-Sep-16 15:57:34

PCOS is still the root cause of your absent periods and it can be a very stressful experience to have irregular periods anyway. Physical problems like PCOS cause a lack of periods.

Unfortunately PCOS is a very individualistic disorder that affects each woman with it very differently; the commonality though is the cystic follicles on the ovaries. Such cystic follicles do disappear, only to be replaced by further cystic follicles. It can be managed and controlled to a certain extent but no one therapy will completely eradicate it.

I would suggest you try meditation as a relaxation technique for handling your overall stress levels. Learn more about PCOS as well; knowledge after all is power!.

www.verity-pcos.org.uk/ is a good website as well to read on PCOS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now