Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Depo injection and bleeding. Anyone got any good experiences ?

(9 Posts)
RosettaPebble Sun 11-Sep-16 11:31:14

I had the Depo injection just over 6 weeks ago. It was a precursor to having a mirena coil as it is the same hormones and the GP thought it would give me a good idea how my body would take to it.

The first four weeks were great. No bleeding even though my period was due when I had the jab. The past 2 weeks have been horrible. Constant bleeding. Heavy enough that I'm having to wear a pad 24/7. Liners would be useless.

Has anyone else had this and has it resolved itself? I'm worried that my periods won't go back to normal after the 3 months now even if I don't have another jab. They were painful, and very heavy but at least I knew when to expect them and that it was for five days out of 28!

Please tell me that there is a chance this will stop.

dementedpixie Sun 11-Sep-16 17:00:51

The depo doesn't have the same hormone as the mirena. I bled all the time with the depo (had 2 and then gave up) but mirena stopped my periods

RosettaPebble Sun 11-Sep-16 19:01:25

That is interesting pixie thank you. Wonder why my GP said that?

I have been thinking that the mirena would be a disaster but maybe not....

NewStartNewName Sun 11-Sep-16 19:06:45

I don't understand why they would give you the injection first. The first time I had 1 injection it took 5 months for my cycle to return. It is the same hormones in both - but A LOT less in the mirena coil - and your body retrains to normal when you remove it.

You may find you continue bleeding I'm afraid, my SIL did continuously on it. All you can do is wait for it to wear off.

NewStartNewName Sun 11-Sep-16 19:07:23

Returns not retrains

dementedpixie Sun 11-Sep-16 19:12:59

They don't contain the same hormones. Depo contains medroxyprogesterone acetate, whereas mirena contains levonorgestrel. They can both have different effects which is why it is strange they suggested the injection first

RosettaPebble Sun 11-Sep-16 19:35:00

I would have to go to the FP clinic as my cervix is very difficult to find for a smear so the GP said that the injection was worth a try and would help me see how the hormones affected me.
Is there an injection that does the same job as Depo but has the same hormones as the mirena? Maybe I have that bit wrong?

dementedpixie Sun 11-Sep-16 19:52:46

According to netdoctor only other coils, a mini pill and morning after pills have the same hormone as mirena:

Other medicines containing levonorgestrel

Jaydess and Levosert are other coils containing levonorgestrel.

Norgeston is a progesterone only contraceptive pill (mini pill) that contains levonorgestrel.

The emergency contraceptives (morning-after pill) Levonelle one step and Levonelle 1500 also contain levonorgestrel.

RosettaPebble Sun 11-Sep-16 20:59:26

Thanks pixie I wasn't impressed with my GP before. Now I'm pretty pissed off. I would have waited for the FP clinic if she hadn't told me it was the same hormones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now