Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ectopic Heartbeats & Fasting Blood Test

(8 Posts)
JammyGeorge Sat 10-Sep-16 12:59:49

I saw a GP last Thursday about query irregular heartbeat. He listened did ecg and was happy they were harmless ectopic beats probably caused by stress, tiredness, caffeine etc. He wasn't overly concerned and neither was I to be honest.

He said he'd run a thyroid test just in case as sometimes this is linked. Was told to ring Monday when test results back to make a routine appointment to discuss them.

This morning a random letter has arrived from the surgery saying the doc wants a 'fasting blood test' no reason just that. I'm now in a right flap thinking the test results have shown something and there's a problem but they are closed.

Are there any thyroid people about? Or people knowledgeable on blood tests? I thought that tests you fasted for were more diabetes tests?

Anyone in the know on thyroids? Diabetes? Blood tests? It's all new to me.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Sat 10-Sep-16 19:29:11

Fasting blood tests are normally done to check your glucose levels, don't panic it may have been on the higher side but possibly be at a normal level with the fasting one.

JammyGeorge Sat 10-Sep-16 20:00:15

Thanks nk so it's probably a diabetes test, I thought that but I suppose there is no point in worrying as it could just be routine.

I had a gluten tolerance test (?) in both pregnancies and have no symptoms of diabetes so I'm hopeful it will be ok.

In fact I don't have any symptoms, the heartbeat issue was picked up totally by accident during a routine check into something unrelated and these tests have snowballed from there.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Sat 10-Sep-16 20:37:39

Good chance of it being normal after a fasting test, even it isn't it doesn't mean you are diabetic...there is level where it is like pre-diabetes and you can improve that if it indeed comes back as that.
I know what you mean by snowballing tests!

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Sat 10-Sep-16 20:39:42

How old are you? I got palpitations in my forties and after scans and cardiologist appointment it was put down to hormone fluctuations.

JammyGeorge Sat 10-Sep-16 20:54:16

Late 30's. I don't even actually feel any palpitations. I was having my pulse taken at my wrist to get my heart rate for a fitness thing and they noticed a skipped beat - it went from there.

I have a feeling it's probably all going to be a big waste of everyone's time but I'm not taking any chances and will report for the test as instructed! Mind I am overweight so in a high risk group.

I wasn't aware they were even testing my sugar levels - he just said I'll do a thyroid test. Yet when the nurse did it she took about 4 vials of blood which seems a lot for one test to me.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Sat 10-Sep-16 21:05:34

When I had my thyroid checked they checked several things..HB, glucose and others, I guess it is a good idea to do a few different screenings whilst the needle is in!

JammyGeorge Sat 10-Sep-16 21:11:30

Yes I presume he's done all the usual while they were on! I do get bloody annoyed with the doctors fancy posting you a letter out they know you'll get at the weekend and say they want to do a test without explaining what they are testing for and why they want to do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now