Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Laughing gas for children

(7 Posts)
user1473232058 Sat 10-Sep-16 07:05:35

Hey there! do any of you aware of using laughing gas for children? Our dentist said that he will be using that for the next appointment of my son (during the filling procedure), so that my son will be relaxed. I heard that it acts as a sedative and I am scared! But the doctor said some facts about it and showed me a blog regarding that ( www.discoverydental.com/blog/laughing-gas/laughing-gas-safe-children/ ). It sounds safe, but I don't know why I am getting tensed. Do any of you can explain me some more details on this? His next appointment is on 15th of this month. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Munstermonchgirl Sat 10-Sep-16 08:26:09

I had it for extractions when I was little and it made me sick afterwards! Maybe they use a milder dose with a different oxygen ratio these days! I think the evidence is that it's quite safe, but personally I would have thought a local anaesthetic is preferable if it's a deep filling. For very small fillings, your child may not need anything, but if the dentist is drilling deeper, a local anaesthetic will block the pain more effectively. From my memory laughing gas doesn't block the pain, it just makes you feel a bit spaced out.

Munstermonchgirl Sat 10-Sep-16 08:31:23

Ps user- did you have gas and air when giving birth? It's the same thing (entonox)
Might help you with making a decision if you've had experience of it! Personally I loved it during labour because it goes on for hours and you need something which makes you feel distanced from the pain. I wasn't sick during labour but did feel nauseous

Caipora Sat 10-Sep-16 08:31:38

My son had an extra tooth that needed to be extracted. He had it and was just very relaxed. It's fine.

Mrsmorton Sat 10-Sep-16 08:38:25

Anaesthetic is used as well, the nitrous oxide just helps with relaxing

Toddlerteaplease Sat 10-Sep-16 08:38:44

Yes we use it a lot for painful procedures. Very safe and works a treat.

YouMakeMyDreams Sat 10-Sep-16 08:58:12

Ds2 has had it used as a sedative for tooth extraction it's called RA relative analgesia. It's is just the same as gas and air in labour. It is a thing that fits over his nose and he breathes it in to relax him. It's left there during extraction and numbing for him to keep breathing in. Once they stop breathing it the effects wear off quickly. They use it as well as a local anaesthetic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now