Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Eye floaters hell! - How long till the brain ignores them!

(9 Posts)
CorrinaW Fri 09-Sep-16 14:11:48

I know that there have been several posts on this subject this year but I am new to Mumsnet. I would like to hear positive stories from people who have these annoying little buggers but are able to ignore them and enjoy life without being crippled with anxiety! I am having CBT at the moment but it is costing £100 a session which only adds to the anxiety I'm feeling right now! Mine are a combination of a few grey blobs and transparent strands in one eye and a large cloudy one with a black 'tail' in the other (this one stays out of the way more than the ones in the other so I'm less bothered by it. I am finding it more difficult to cope at work because of the computer screen and lots of white paper!

PurpleAlerts Fri 09-Sep-16 20:21:33

I assume you have seen an optician to get these checked? If not then I would book an appointment because although floaters are usually nothing to worry about, they can occasionally flag up something that needs treatment.

I had flashing lights then a huge grey floater appear in my left eye about 9 months ago.

Had it checked and was told all fine. Ophthalmologist told me that it was a bit of vitreous jelly still attached to the inside of my eye but that eventually it will detach and fall to the bottom and out of my field of vision. It's still there but I would say that after about 4 months I stopped noticing it so much although if I am tired or its very sunny it bothers me.

I feel for you as they are so annoying!

CorrinaW Fri 09-Sep-16 20:39:33

Yes, nothing wrong with my eyes, just become fixated I suppose! I've had them for years and was never bothered by them...until I read someone's post on them back in April! If only I hadn't read it - damn internet! Thank you for your response - it helps to know you're not noticing yours so much.

SuburbanRhonda Fri 09-Sep-16 20:49:40

I've had the same thing as purple, along with the flashing arcs of light at the edge of my field of vision. Four weeks and the floaters are still there.

My optician did several scans of my retina (for free!) and it was easy to see where the jelly had become detached.

I have to keep vigilant because any more flashing could be a detached retina.

CorrinaW Sat 10-Sep-16 14:00:00

I think it must be my personality then, getting upset by them! Other people I talked to seem to be able to ignore them so easily whereas I think about them constantly.

booox Sat 10-Sep-16 17:06:54

I've had them my whole life and have never been bothered by them. I used to enjoy looking at them and can freak people out by 'following them'. I guess it's a combo of normalising them and your perception (sorry for the pun). But I do have perception issues with another health condition. So I do understand.

I'm very short sighted though and have been since small so I guess I'm used to them.

itmustbemyage Sat 10-Sep-16 17:18:28

I've also lived with multiple floaters for years, as I'm very short sighted. I find it easier to ignore them during the day when I am busy but notice them more at home esp if watching TV. I just acknowledge they are there without focusing on them or worrying about them. The large dark one that looked like a rat crossing my cream carpet was more of a nuisance though, it has thankfully dropped out of view now. They are normal for me, I get regular eye tests so I know there is nothing sinister going on. My sister, similar eye sight to me, had a lifetime of innocent floaters but knew at once when she had a problem with a detaching retina cause she got the flashy lights thing.

Buzzardbird Sat 10-Sep-16 17:24:13

Instant coffee makes mine more noticeable and red wine. I have no idea why.

CorrinaW Sun 11-Sep-16 18:43:29

Thank you for your responses, they really do help. What is so ridiculous is that I've had them for years as well and it was only when I read someone's post on mumsnet earlier this year that I started thinking about them and that led to noticing them - noticing them all the time that is! How I wish I'd not stumbled across that post - I had been looking up something else entirely!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now