Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Arms permanately aching.

(12 Posts)
windmillsofyourmind Thu 08-Sep-16 22:20:38

It started in one shoulder, now it's both shoulders and its spread down the arms. The doctor doesn't know and didn't seem concerned, I'm usually ok sitting still but it's worse when moving. Its really hard to reach out for anything. Has anyone else experienced anything like it or know what it can be?

Whitecoconut Fri 09-Sep-16 10:34:07

Not sure if this is the same but my arms ached and I had blood tested for vitamin D. I was deficient.

windmillsofyourmind Fri 09-Sep-16 10:52:07

Did your arms get better whitecoconut, and if so was that because you started taking vitamin D?

yeOldeTrout Fri 09-Sep-16 11:01:59

frozen shoulder syndrome?
I had pains like that when I had RSI, too.

HalsallRedux Sun 11-Sep-16 12:35:56

I've had this, windmills. I can't give you a satisfactory answer, sadly. It went on for at least 2 years and at least 1 GP was completely uninterested, didn't want to do anything about it, and told me it was my age and 'we all get aches and pains' twat.

After seeing another GP I eventually had an X-ray and ultrasound that showed some wear and tear to the shoulder but no obvious drastic damage (I couldn't remember doing anything to either arm, no falls etc). The pain came and went, that was the weird thing, but at its worst it stopped me sleeping and I couldn't carry bags of any weight. The aching in both upper arms was really painful and distressing.

Ultimately I starting paying for private physio sessions which helped. And over time the pain just went away. It hasn't troubled me for ages now....although I have to say that it's showing signs of coming back a bit in one arm.

Sorry, the above is no help to you really! But I'd say definitely try and find a good GP and a physio/osteopath who knows what they're doing. Making sure Vit D levels are optimum can't harm you either, just in case.

windmillsofyourmind Sun 11-Sep-16 13:29:07

Thank you Halsal, that's very interesting. think I do need a second opinion, my GP is rather uninterested. I'm just sick of it now.

HalsallRedux Mon 12-Sep-16 20:26:53

Good luck, windmills. I'd strongly recommend that you try and get a GP who'll refer you for an x-ray and ultrasound as a first step, because if you have done done some sort of damage it really does need seeing to.

Don't want to worry you unnecessarily but a friend of mine had shoulder pain, ignored it, and ultimately ended up having to have surgery which could probably have been avoided if she'd been treated earlier.

devilinmyshoes Mon 12-Sep-16 21:20:21

Is it syringomyelia? I'm sure it's not, but you never know.

Rubberduck2 Mon 12-Sep-16 21:34:32

Request an MRI of your neck. This happened to me and I had a massive slipped disk in my neck which was sat in my spinal cord. Hopefully it's nothing too awful and will disappear asap but I would get it checked out thoroughly!!

windmillsofyourmind Mon 12-Sep-16 22:35:22

Thanks everyone, I'm just so sick of the pain now, I just want my gp to take it serious. I'm going to ask for a referral for X-rays etc.

JustGettingStarted Mon 12-Sep-16 22:44:24

It sounds like a problem in the neck affecting a nerve. But both arms does sound odd.

I had a pinched nerve that made my left hand tingle and I got spasms in my neck. I sorted it by:

Shoulder exercises, with weights and resistance bands, working all the angles (pulling up, shrugs, rows, press ups)

An exercise for my neck that involved pressing my head back against a towel/band behind my head

Putting a cushion behind my back in the car

Cushions/posture corrections to correct a forward slump of neck and shoulders

Not wearing a bra/lengthening bra straps, as I felt it was pulling and pinching my neck

I believe that most pains are from an imbalance in muscles and I truly believe that you can correct them by exercising and strengthening the opposing muscles. I've fixed knee pain in running by climbing hills, for example. You have to figure out which muscles are pulling and strengthen the opposing muscles. A physical therapist can help you identify the weaknesses.

windmillsofyourmind Mon 12-Sep-16 23:01:53

Thank you justgettingstarted it's nice to think I may not always have this pain. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now