Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

At what age did you let your child see the doctor on her/his own?

(5 Posts)
Laura185 Thu 08-Sep-16 09:47:37

My eldest Dd now 14, for the second time attended our family GP on her own as my work doesn't always fit around, is there such thing as an appropriate age? My thoughts are that you know your own and when they feel its the right time they will let you know!
Also want to ask, on this occasion (persistent cough) she was examined (listened to on chest and back) and he did ask her to remove a top she had on though did not offer a chaperone - nurse or receptionist to come in?which he didn't. She was ok with it, though I would have thought should have at least been asked this?

PollyPerky Thu 08-Sep-16 11:22:47

Late teens ( 18-19) for a skin condition. They didn't need to see a dr before that (during teen years.) A chaperone is only (IME) for examination of genitals, or anything that requires removing underwear- not listening to their chest for a cough. It would be better to talk to your DD about inappropriate behaviour per se in any situation, so she can make her own judgement if anything seems odd.

zzzzz Thu 08-Sep-16 11:24:15

Before University

confusionis Fri 09-Sep-16 22:38:05

It depends is the answer.
Your daughter should have been assessed by the doctor as being competent to make her own decisions before being seen without a parent. Gillick competence can be applied from the age of 13. I'm surprised re the chaperone as the chaperone is to chaperone the hcp rather than the patient.
My friend sent her 15 year old son to see the GP alone, but then had to go in as GP insisted on her presence. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but there was a pallava as GP wasnt happy about child being sent in unaccompanied

doyouseeme1 Thu 15-Sep-16 09:52:21

I was 14 when I started going to the doctors by myself as my parents both worked. It did me good as I ended up with health problems when I was 16 and would sometimes have to go to the gp weekly by myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now