Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cervical smear? needed over 50 and no vaginal sex?

(5 Posts)
Katexxy Thu 08-Sep-16 08:06:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dementedpixie Thu 08-Sep-16 10:39:29

From online:

The incidence of cervical cancer is extremely rare in women who have never been sexually active and the guidelines issued suggest that women who are sexually active attend for screening at the age of 25. More than 99% of cervical cancers are linked to infection with sexually transmitted high risk HPV so it is recommended that if you have ever had sexual intercourse or genital-to-genital contact with a man or a woman, even just once, then you should attend for regular cervical screenings.
If you are not currently in a sexual relationship but have been in the past, you are recommended to have regular cervical screening.

Yes. All women, regardless of their sexual orientation, who are over the age of invitation should have regular cervical screening. Most cervical abnormalities are caused by persistent infection with HPV. As HPV can be transmitted through skin-to-skin contact in the genital area, gay women are equally at risk of contracting HPV and experiencing abnormal cervical changes and, thus, should always attend when invited for cervical screening.

Don't know if any of that is helpful. From age 50 you only get called every 5 years until age 65

Katexxy Thu 08-Sep-16 10:55:31

PollyPerky Thu 08-Sep-16 11:17:02

Just to add- I am in my 60s and my gynae (private) likes to do smears more often than the NHS 5-year rule. I've had them around every 2-3 years (I'm happy with this because I think 5 years is too long .

I was also advised that smears after 65 are still done if you change your partner around that time. And as the PP says it's not just penetrative sex, it's any kind of contact (sexual) because the virus lives on the skin and can be transferred orally or digitally.

Katexxy Thu 08-Sep-16 11:38:20

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now