Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Severe pain 2 weeks before my period!?

(7 Posts)
jojomumstepmum Tue 06-Sep-16 19:43:57


This is my first ever post but I just wanted some advice. For the past year I have been getting increasingly worse period pains. In the past 6 months my pattern has become regular.
1st of month (or thereabouts) I get really severe pains, not cramp, but dull ache that gets worse when I sit or have sex. The pain is in my womb.
1 week later I get a bleed, very bright blood that's lasts an hour or so?
1 week after that my period starts and lasts about 5 days and is very very heavy for 3 days and light for 2.
1 week later we start again?!?!

Why is this! I am currently on the initial pain stage and it takes my breath away when I sit, I have been known to cry after sex and it literally feel like when you have a baby and want to push (I assume this is me wanting to get rid of the pain?!).

I have 3 children. From 10 to 2.

I hope someone can help or have a little advice. I have been to the docs in the past about things and they always make me feel a little silly about problems. Also finding the time for the doctors is hard work in itself!

Thank you in advance

J smile

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 06-Sep-16 21:34:38

You need to seek medical advice from the GP and request a referral to a gynaecologist. This is outside a GPs general remit.

Fibroids can cause heavy bleeding to arise and endometriosis can cause pain like you describe (deep pain during sex is highly indicative of endometriosis being present). Any pain that is cyclical in nature should always be investigated to see if endometriosis is present. Bleeding between periods should always be investigated further to ascertain the cause.

In the meantime I would keep a daily pain and symptom diary to show the gynae as this will give clues.

You will need to be persistent in order to get answers.

Collarsandcutoffs Tue 06-Sep-16 21:37:16

This is not outside a GP remit! Ffs what do you think Gp's do?
A GP can examine you and take a full history and organise an ultrasound if indicated along with any swabs for infection etc.
If once initial examination and investigations are concluded they can then refer you onwards.

Collarsandcutoffs Tue 06-Sep-16 21:44:18

But def go as should always investigate odd patterns of pain and or bleeding

jojomumstepmum Wed 07-Sep-16 00:18:20

Thank you for replying, I will go to the gp.

I do think they differ depending who you see so hopefully will get one who can just check me over and maybe book a scan.

The pain is pretty crap tonight and I can't sleep!! Boo


AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 07-Sep-16 07:22:12

I said this is outside a GPs general remit because of the very nature of cyclical pain and bleeding you are experiencing. This person is not necessarily going to know what is going on, they are generalists after all.

Also if endometriosis is present it will not be detected on an internal ultrasound scan or swab.

Do go to the GP anyway; pain like you are experiencing is not normal.

Realitea Wed 07-Sep-16 11:38:14

Sounds a lot like endometriosis. Hopefully you can be referred to a Gynae for a laparoscopy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now