Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

eyes red, swollen and itchy for weeks now

(5 Posts)
bearofnothingness Sat 03-Sep-16 07:42:16

What could be causing it? am taking lots of anti-allergy pills and dr prescribes hydrocortisone cream but still am waking up with swollen red eyes. it's so annoying and sore. I haven't changed an cosmetics or washing powder so am at a loss! I never usually get any sort of hay fever in September just early in the season from tree pollen.

Posting in case anyone has similar and has managed to pinpoint anything sad i look shocking like a boxer

EllenRipley Sat 03-Sep-16 11:20:32

Are you sure you don't have an infection like blepharitis? Drop in to an optometrist and ask, they can recommend a treatment, you can get antibiotic drops/ointment at a pharmacy. I've used Bausch & Lomb Bio True eyelid wipes before, they're v good for infections and allergies. Chamomile tea bags are good too. X

PoshPenny Sat 03-Sep-16 17:19:52

Have you bought new pillows recently? I had this when i changed my feather pillows for hypoallergenic ones LOL. The GP couldn't sort me out, I went to the opticians where he said it was allergic conjunctivitis rather than bacterial/viral. I think he got me to buy some chloramphenicol eye ointment from the pharmacy, (bit I can't honestly remember, maybe it was eye drops) I put my old feather pillows back on the bed and it cleared up immediately. It's the being worse in the morning that could be the clue the problem is coming from your sleeping arrangements.

bearofnothingness Sun 04-Sep-16 00:38:21

am thinking it may be blepharitis will try treating if it's that. have slathered on hydrocortisone tonight and some prescription eye cream i've found.

It's just so awful.

redannie118 Sun 04-Sep-16 00:48:34

Are your eyes very dry?ask your GP to prescribe lacrilube to use athe night and preservative free eye drops during the day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now