Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD spotting between periods (age 15)

(8 Posts)
baldisbeautiful Wed 31-Aug-16 08:14:42

DD is beside herself with worry (suffers badly with health anxiety) as she seems to be getting very small amounts of spotting fresh blood between periods. She is very hormonal at the moment (very unsettled, anxious in general and can fly off the handle at anything). I have tried to reassure her it's just puberty / hormonal but she's convinced herself she has cancer! Refusing to go to docs but I have an app tomorrow when I will discuss it with them but just wondered if anyone else had experience if this? Her cycle is somewhat erratic and stress levels seem up be going through the roof at the moment. It's been happening for about 3 months now and the bleeding is only a tiny bit when she wipes herself and only happens once every few days or so. It's def vaginal and not coming from the urethra (sp?). Thanks for any insight x

PollyPerky Wed 31-Aug-16 08:35:29

Is she able to be persuaded to have an appt of her own at the drs so they can reassure her? At 15 she ought to be old enough to speak to the dr or nurse about it.

It's almost as if she needs a nurse or dr to talk to her and discuss how cervical cancer can occur- HPV etc- so she knows the risks and how to minimise those, while at the same time not becoming over alarmist at things that aren't serious.

Can you explain to her that if she is not yet (?) sexually active, it can't be cancer? ( cervix) or any other type of cancer in someone her age.

baldisbeautiful Wed 31-Aug-16 09:01:52

Yes I have told her that as she is not yet having sex, and has had a vaccination that cancer really isn't something to worry about. I think the anxiety is building it all up in her mind and that is really the problem here. I googled spotting and I believe that hormones can cause this especially around ovulation, and since then the stress will have contributed to it as well. My app is with s male go so will gauge his opinion and take it from there.

0hCrepe Wed 31-Aug-16 09:06:12

I bled between periods as a teen and they put me on the pill to regulate them.

PollyPerky Wed 31-Aug-16 09:26:15

what's the anxiety about? Is it about her hormones or about life in general?
There is a thread on here from a poster who has really serious health anxiety around spotting - I'd hate your DD to end up like her - so maybe the GP can suggest some type of CBT or counselling ( though funds are very limited and doubt she'd be a priority) to knock this on the head.

Footle Wed 31-Aug-16 10:48:55

It would also be awful if she thought having sex = getting cancer. Not good at all.

baldisbeautiful Wed 31-Aug-16 11:09:25

Thanks everyone. I have tried to reassure her that this can be normal. I think her anxieties in general need to be addressed and I suggested to her that some cbt type coping mechanisms would be beneficial (have alopecia myself and this type of therapy is very beneficial in this instance). Will see what the doc can recommend. I was also thinking of asking him whether the pill might help as she gets bad pmt and periods are quite heavy too.

CrotchetQuaverMinim Wed 31-Aug-16 11:15:08

there's a normal sort of spotting that can occur around ovulation, so maybe it's that, especially if she can feel some cramping type of pain as well (mine wasn't bad pain, but just enough to notice something was happening). If it's pretty much mid-cycle, that could well be what it is - she could get one of those apps that tracks her cycle, including other symptoms (e.g,. Clue) and see if it seems to fit in.

Also, any chance she's nicked herself shaving or anything like that? I found it incredibly easy to do, even just trimming a hair and catching one and pulling it out etc could easily cause bleeding, or getting a bit of an ingrown one that doesn't last long, but bleeds a little as it heals, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now