Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

cancer markers in blood test

(11 Posts)
mannose Tue 30-Aug-16 21:00:58

Has anyone experienced this, how did it turn out? Been referred to gyno.

GenghisCalm Tue 30-Aug-16 23:27:32

I had CA125 markers.

mannose Wed 31-Aug-16 13:28:28

How did it go genhis, did they go back to normal, did you have surgery?

Littleallovertheshop Wed 31-Aug-16 13:31:20

They are elevated by things other than cancer - esp CA125. It's relatively unreliable as a tumour marker.

EllenRipley Wed 31-Aug-16 13:45:42

I've had raised CA125 for the last year, after a hysteroscopy/biopsy and several more scans have been diagnosed with a cyst and possible endometriosis. Don't panic & Google (as I did) if your bloods warrant further investigation, there are loads of 'benign' gynae reasons for it to be raised.

UnGoogleable Wed 31-Aug-16 13:49:37

I had high CA125 and CA199.

I had an ovarian cyst, but because of the raised tumour markers, was treated as if it could be cancer. It meant that I was put on an accelerated treatment plan, had a CT scan to check for tumours, and had surgery with an Oncologist Gynaecologist.

It wasn't cancer - it was endometriosis, which can apparently cause raised tumour markers due to the inflammation. It was an incredibly stressful time, as I didn't know until I recovered from surgery whether I'd had cancer or not. but they did make it very clear that they didn't expect it to be cancer but had to treat me as if it was just in case.

Don't panic - it's common for endometriosis to cause raised levels.

GenghisCalm Wed 31-Aug-16 14:06:54

Hi,

I has surgery and everything is fine CA125 are markers for lots of things Dr Google like to tell you the worst.

Hope everything is ok with you.

Littleallovertheshop Wed 31-Aug-16 18:15:59

Mannose, do you know what marker it is? There are a few rarer ones which are more specific.

mannose Wed 31-Aug-16 20:00:38

I believe gp said it was ovarian cancer markers so presume it was the ca125. Thank you for the replies I am worried sick that it serious, my only symptoms are a swollen tummy an have had pressure on my bladder which ironically seems to have settled.

Littleallovertheshop Wed 31-Aug-16 20:58:57

flowers I know it's easy for me to say, but try not to worry. As pp have said, CA125 can be raised in lots of instances. If you're being referred that's good as they can investigate and see what's going on

mannose Thu 01-Sep-16 00:26:52

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now