Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Psoriasis

(10 Posts)
sarahlou1986 Sun 28-Aug-16 18:18:38

Hi does anyone have any advise on home remedies in dealing with psoriasis, I have tried numerous creams and lotions with very little result

DramaInPyjamas Sun 28-Aug-16 18:30:48

I tried many creams and lotions from the GP over the years as well, but what eventually cleared mine up was soaking in baths of Dead Sea Salt and drinking loads of water. I'm just over 3 years completely clear now.

mumandgran61 Sun 28-Aug-16 18:33:51

I have scalp psoriasis and use Dovobet gel to blast it and Calcipotrol to keep it at bay. They are prescriptions steroids though and I'd love to find a more natural way to get rid of it.

Lovelydiscusfish Sun 28-Aug-16 18:39:36

Not a home remedy, but dh takes methotrexate for his - it's hardcore stuff (for example he was told he could not father a child while taking it due to risk of birth defects) and would probably only be prescribed if it is really bad, but it is a sort of miracle drug.
The other thing his excellent dermatologist really recommends, which IS a home remedy, is to get as much direct sunshine as possible. He argues that the risks of cancer are vastly outweighed by the benefits. Which is a controversial view...
Good luck!

MotherOfMinions Thu 01-Sep-16 21:10:50

Reviewing your diet can sometimes help. I found that cutting down sugar and dairy really helped me.

Lolimax Thu 01-Sep-16 21:14:19

Not a home remedy but after years of suffering my DH has just started UVB light therapy. It's made a huge difference already.

LineyReborn Thu 01-Sep-16 21:19:39

I'm back to a tar-based ointment and it's working!

SeasonalVag Thu 01-Sep-16 22:28:37

Op. I've had it for years and will reply in morning, but basically diet is critical.

SeasonalVag Mon 05-Sep-16 17:57:14

Sorry op,

I have attacked p through diet and probiotics with quite a bit of success. Basically, you avoid:
Sugar wheat alcohol meat and nightshades (nicotine, potato, pepper, tomatoes)

Take optibac extra strength probiotics, I did 2 a day for a month and saw significant clearance

Try juicing. Carrot juice is brilliant, but you need to make it yourself.

Jason vale has information on juicing for psoriasis.

Avoid acid forming foods. Basically anything that is processed.

SeasonalVag Mon 05-Sep-16 17:59:11

For the skin itself, epaderm, or Shea butter are my favorites. Use as little shower gel as posd, prefably an emollient. I shower Evey other day as well to give my skin a chance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now