Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

medical exemption certificates

(22 Posts)
croakingfrog Sun 28-Aug-16 11:58:04

For the first time in more than 20 years I am being asked for this. Fair enough I suppose but if I'm having to produce proof I'm surprised others aren't, ie, people on benefits or pensioners, new mothers, etc. I have just stop at a pharmacy counter and listened to the conversations yet I was the only person pressed to provide proof.

It doesn't seem equitable - do pharmacies think it's only those who tick the medical exemption box are potentially committing fraud?

Tiggeryoubastard Sun 28-Aug-16 11:59:43

I was asked for mine the last time I got my thyroxine - taking that is the very reason I have a card.

Tiggeryoubastard Sun 28-Aug-16 12:01:18

But they are entitled to ask whoever they want for proof I suppose, actually I'm quite glad they do.

BombadierFritz Sun 28-Aug-16 12:01:22

lol tiggery! me too. apparently it is only valid for five years. I lost mine the week I got it (brain fog) but they let me off as I only.ever get thyroxine

MrsChrisPratt Sun 28-Aug-16 12:03:40

I get asked for mine every now and then. If I'm picking up thyroxine I don't, but other stuff, quite frequently.

gamerchick Sun 28-Aug-16 12:04:46

It might be worth saying that if you don't renew your exemption card when it expires even if you're on meds for life you can still be sent a fine/demand to pay for prescriptions you've had without it as the diabetic husband found out. He was refunded once he got a new card though.

peaceloveandshitmoms Sun 28-Aug-16 12:04:47

I have one for thyroxine too and always offer to show it. I did the same when I had maternity exemption.

madamginger Sun 28-Aug-16 12:04:52

We have always been required to ask but it is now in our NHS contract that we must remind people that they will be checked upon if they don't show proof of exemption.
psnc.org.uk/dispensing-supply/receiving-a-prescription/patient-charges/exemptions/

Floralnomad Sun 28-Aug-16 12:07:03

I've never been asked for mine , I also have medical exemption for thyroxine , but I think it's worth them checking because lots of people do forget that you have to reapply every so often and many people are using out of date cards , which is an offence .

MrsJayy Sun 28-Aug-16 12:08:32

Please dont shout at me 😁 but when you had to pay for prescriptions in Scotland i was asked to produce my excemption certificate now and again especially if it was a different pharmacy, They are allowed to spot check its easy to tick a box and try to get away with it.

croakingfrog Sun 28-Aug-16 12:09:45

That's interesting mafamginger. I wasn't reminded I'd be checked if I didn't show it, I was asked if I had a card and the number was noted before they gave me the prescribed thyroxine. It felt very officious. Yet the three people behind me didn't pay either and none were asked for proof. And I'd say two were much under 60.

madamginger Sun 28-Aug-16 12:15:15

But they might have brought in scripts for someone over 60 or a child, or a contraceptive pill which are all free.
If you showed your card then they wouldn't tell you that you would be checked out.
On the back of the script is a box that we cross to show we haven't seen proof of exemption

croakingfrog Sun 28-Aug-16 12:18:36

I think it would help if there was a notice about it ir perhaps to say something like, The NHS has tightened up our contract and we now have to ask more closely.

elderberryflower Sun 28-Aug-16 12:19:19

It's the card that means you don't have to pay, not the medical condition. I've heard of diabetics being charged for insulin because they didn't have a card- you need to make sure they're up to date.

Mrsmorton Sun 28-Aug-16 12:29:25

This is a bit of a non problem. Staff have to tick a box to say they've seen it, you can't expect them to lie. It's none of your business what other people were or weren't asked to show, as pp said, they may have been collecting on behalf of a child etc.

I wouldn't expect to get on a bus without showing my bus pass, just like I wouldn't expect a free prescription if I couldn't show proof that I'm entitled to it.

MrsJayy Sun 28-Aug-16 12:30:51

Yes if your card runs out you need to pay I think it was just spot checking

MollyRedskirts Sun 28-Aug-16 12:33:42

Why would there need to be a notice? I get that you're feeling like you were singled out, but really, you have no idea why the people behind you weren't checked. Like madamginger said, they may have had prescriptions that were free without the need to produce a card.

I have a medical exemption and I'm always asked to show it.

madamginger Sun 28-Aug-16 12:41:59

It's your responsibility to have proof of exemption, it always has been. Pharmacies have been required to ask since 1999/2000
You can be fined if you fraudulently claim even if you would be entitled and your card has expired.
They are just tightening up the regulations and checking more often to reduce fraud

trinity0097 Sun 28-Aug-16 18:27:38

They always write down the number when I use mine.

AveEldon Sun 28-Aug-16 18:39:49

We are usually asked when using a new pharmacy
Our regular pharmacy inputs the number into the computer so we aren't asked again (usually) until it's renewal

Oldsu Mon 29-Aug-16 23:33:49

croakingfrog if you are 60 and over and your DOB is electronically printed on the front of the prescription you do NOT have to show proof nor will you be asked to show proof - taken from the NHS Business services site

I am aged 60 or over, do I need to sign the back of my prescription?

If the FP10 is computer generated and your age or date of birth is clearly visible, a signature is not required and you do not need to tick the box on the back of the prescription as you are classed as automatically age exempt.

Only if the DOB is hand written or not actually on there is an age exempt person 60 or over required to tick the box and sign the declaration

SecretSpy Mon 29-Aug-16 23:40:45

I offered to show the pharmacist my card when I was collecting a gallon of Gaviscon at 39weeks pregnant.

He laughed and said no need grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now