Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can anyone suggest an elbow support for Tennis elbow?

(21 Posts)
Katymac Thu 25-Aug-16 16:19:19

The physio told me to get one but not what sort or brand - it needs to have a ball or bump in it

I am a bit sensitive & allergic to some stuff - so I may have to buy a few to try them out & ideally I'd like to go & look at it

Katymac Thu 25-Aug-16 20:56:19

bump

Katymac Thu 25-Aug-16 23:15:30

bump

Katymac Fri 26-Aug-16 09:33:07

final bump

CMOTDibbler Fri 26-Aug-16 11:31:11

I've had a few different ones, but this was my favourite. You can wear it over a thin cotton sleeve as well.

BTW, what has turned off my tennis elbow each time its got out of control (I can only use one arm, so can't rest it and do things awkwardly) is acupuncture. Its worked when steroids, physio, ultrasound etc all failed miserably.

FeelingSmurfy Fri 26-Aug-16 11:38:48

Not sure about a ball or bump, but I had tendinitis which I believe is the same thing? I was advised to get a support from boots and bought boots own. It was torture getting it on and it took a while but after hour or so the pain wasn't as intense and after that I could feel the difference

FeelingSmurfy Fri 26-Aug-16 11:39:54

This is what I have

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 26-Aug-16 12:55:22

The one I used was actually a wrist support which held the wrist at an angle therefore not putting strain on the elbow

Groovee Fri 26-Aug-16 12:56:19

I have a boots own one too

Katymac Fri 26-Aug-16 14:35:01

I got the Boots one but it made things worse

I'll have ago at yours CMOT - although I do like the sound of the wrist one too - do you have a link Dame?

Me & the physio had a communication issue - apparently my CFS/FM/Hypermobility won't affect the severity of my injury or it's repair

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 26-Aug-16 15:53:21

www.actesso.co.uk/product/advanced-black-wrist-support-splint?gclid=Cj0KEQjw0f-9BRCF9-D60_n4rKcBEiQAnXW4-wJkK1LECHQ-xS9c6kcjpw9WJG3xOAd4HEHRqnG6EDYaAopB8P8HAQ

This is what I used on advice of the physio. They're cheaper on Amazon.

Katymac Fri 26-Aug-16 15:59:07

It is definitely the hand twisting movement that hurts the most

As I have been advised to use the elbow one I will buy that first then mor=ve on the the wrist if it doesn't help

I have been having monthly acupuncture on it since March and mid July I went on to weekly - it eases it initially but it's normally back within 3/4 days sad

FeelingSmurfy Fri 26-Aug-16 19:35:50

I have all of those sad extra pain is the last thing you need

Howling did you try it, because it made mine worse at first but then it did start to help

FeelingSmurfy Fri 26-Aug-16 19:37:03

I already had one of those hand ones on after fracturing little bones in my wrist, it did nothing for my elbow

Katymac Fri 26-Aug-16 21:03:30

The tubigrip was better than the boots one (it's been bad since Feb) I may have been sensitive to the material

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 27-Aug-16 01:04:49

Have you had a steroid injection?

Katymac Sat 27-Aug-16 07:32:02

No I guess that is next

I just worry so much as I am allergic/sensitive to so much that I just wanted to try fixing it mechanically

marriednotdead Sat 27-Aug-16 08:03:15

Another one wary of the injection here. I have found the basic non neoprene ones most helpful, something like this

It has eased a lot over time but my job aggravates it. Therefore I only wear the strap at work these days.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 27-Aug-16 08:22:14

It didn't cure mine,but it did reduce the pain. The pain was waking me up in the night though it was so bad I was desperate.

It does seem to be a self limiting condition, the NHS website says it's 18-22 months and mine was 18 months iirc then suddenly it disappeared.

Pilotguy Sat 27-Aug-16 08:47:21

The occupational Physio where I work prescribed one and showed me how to wear it correctly. It gives great relief for intense Tennis Elbow. It's a Bio Skin Tennis Elbow Band www.bioskin.com/bio-skin-braces-and-supports/elbow-braces-and-supports/tennis-elbow-band.html It sounds a bit suspect just telling you to get one and leaving you to it, no proper guidance what to get, hmm

Katymac Sat 27-Aug-16 09:26:52

It sounds a bit suspect just telling you to get one and leaving you to it, no proper guidance what to get me too

Plus the whole CFS leading to low muscle tone, reducing the effect of exercise, FM leading to pain on movement (which really helps with the exercise idea) & the hypermobility which means my joints have a much wider range of movement to the fixed-ness of other people wrists/arms doesn't happen for me so twisting my hand like she asked me to just makes my wrist move & become sore!

I was quite disappointed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now