Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Unexplained shakes- any experience?

(22 Posts)
Danglyweed Tue 23-Aug-16 10:22:52

Im 29, have been suffering with unexplained shakes for the last 4 or 5 years. Recently I feel that they have got alot worse, Im really struggling now to feed my dt's without chucking food over them!

I went to the gp about 3 years ago who prescribed me beta blockers (without checking blood pressure). My blood pressure was already low(i have a monitor), so these actually made me collapse. I presume he was passing it off as anxiety, something I've never suffered from. I was reluctant to go back after that experience but now Im really struggling and quite a few people have recently commented on it.

Recently been getting a lot of hot flushes and light headed spells.

My weights fine, I eat healthy, exercise enough. Not too much alcohol or caffeine. Havent noticed any triggers. Any advice before I go back to my gp.

WannaBeDifferent Tue 23-Aug-16 10:24:10

No advice but to get to GP ASAP . Hope you're ok and get some proper tests .

Danglyweed Tue 23-Aug-16 10:36:25

Thanks wanna I will try get an appointment soon. Have just chucked coffee over myself angry luckily I like it milky so not hot.

wfrances Tue 23-Aug-16 10:49:55

i get the shakes
i also have low blood pressure,and suffer with low blood sugar ,either will make you shake ,sweat and dizzy.
you will have to see the gp though as they need to rule out other stuff.

Danglyweed Tue 23-Aug-16 10:54:15

Thanks wfrancesI had a barrage of blood tests done a couple of months ago when I went to ask about extreme exhaustion. Nothing came of them.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 23-Aug-16 10:55:38

I'd make an emergency appt, I think what you're describing warrants one.

Danglyweed Tue 23-Aug-16 11:31:02

Cant get through so far, think 11am is when they do the emergency walk ins etc so will keep trying.

RockinHippy Tue 23-Aug-16 12:03:09

Have they checked your B12 level ?? This could be a cause

Its not a standard test, so often gets missed. Its also worth getting a copy of your results if they have done a B12 test as a lot of doctors don't understand the results so well, tests are unreliable & the "normal" level varies according to where you live.

Basically, speaking from experience & a ton of research, if its under 500, this could be your answer even if your GP says your results are fine

Danglyweed Tue 23-Aug-16 12:39:35

rocking yeah they were checked the last time, I have had that issue with a gp before. Will make sure to double check this time round

RockinHippy Tue 23-Aug-16 12:46:35

Your B12 has been low before ?? If so were you given injections ? They have to treat it with injections, even if you are vegan you need to start off with them at least. If you are not vegan, then they are for life, so if you are low & you are not getting that, they are negligent

I'm adding a symptom check list for you to look over & maybe use for your appointment

Both me & DD had shakes as a symptom, plus exhaustion & a ton more - injections got DD out of a n 18 month stint in a wheelchair in under 2 weeks - its a very important vitamin & deficiency is serious, but thankfully easily treat

sadie9 Tue 23-Aug-16 12:52:18

What are your menstrual cycles like? Are you on any hormonal contraception?
Are you a vegetarian or do you prefer to follow special diet or have food preferences of any kind? Is your BMI in the mid-range or would it be the low end.
Also can you note when the shakes are worse or better during the day or is it all the same throughout the day?

Dollybird99 Tue 23-Aug-16 12:59:25

My sister in law shakes a lot (especially her hands). She was diagnosed with this : www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Tremor-%28essential%29/Pages/Introduction.aspx . I haven't see what treatment there is, if any - but it might be worth a read x

Danglyweed Tue 23-Aug-16 13:35:24

rocking 3 or 4 years ago I had folate deficiency anaemia, after months on a high dose it wasn't improving, so had b12 injections fortnightly for a few months which did improve.

At this point, we moved so switched doctors where I was told my bloods were all good. Since then I have taken daily a high dose b12, folic acid and vit d and multi vit. The symptom list does tick a lot of boxes. Thank you!!!

sadie cycle had been really quite light, then 3 months ago got the depo injection so no periods since. No, no special diet, very much a meat and two veg kinda person. Bmi 18.8. I think its much the same all day, have tried to watch out for any triggers but so far haven't noticed any.

dolly this is essentially what my symptoms are, but also happens when resting too. So frustrating sad

sadie9 Tue 23-Aug-16 14:26:42

And Danglyweed what height are you? Just asking as your BMI is at the very lowest end of the scale, like lose another 1lb and you are into Underweight. Have you had issues of not being able to put on weight. This might contribute to the shakes, and or feeling the cold a lot as well.

RockinHippy Wed 24-Aug-16 08:19:15

Ughangry Dangly I get so cross when I see things like this, in the last year or so I have seen so many similar stories sad

You already have your diagnosis, one that means you should be getting life long injection & your new doctor is ignorant & very negligent for not continuing your treatment. The supplements wont work for you I'm afraid as you cant absorb it via the gut as normal people can as a meat eater, you couldn't be deficient if you could absorb it via your gut, if the supplements are under the tongue ones, you might be able to absorb a small amount of it if you hold the pills there a long time, but it will never be enough to,keep you well.

NICE guidelines & others that dictate hey are not meant to retest B12 AFTER B12 injections, other than to make sure its working, as of course your results will be fine, you've had treatment, it won't stay fine though as you clearly have a problem absorbing B12, which somehow affects the livers ability to store it (Im not sure of the mechanics of that, but often see it discussed on a B12 group I'm a member of)

Folate deficiency anaemia I've often read has the same symptoms of B12 too, they work together along with iron, magnesium & pottasium, so if one is out of whack, it will have a knock on effect. There is another genetic version of B12/Folate deficiency which is even more complicated than Pernicious Anaemia & I wont pretend I understand it yet, but if you have this MTHFR gene, you have problems with absorbing folate too.

Currently looking into that for my daughter, as she seems to heal better with folate supplements alongside her B12 jabs, instead of the cheaper Folic Acid, which a normal body should convert to Folate - we are waiting on the results of genetic testing to see if she has this gene, though our GP couldn't test for it, (its not on her list with DDs diagnosis) so we have used 23andME for private testing as it needs ruling out as its more complicated to treat, plus theres apparently a link to EDS, which we also have.

THIS LINK

has a ton of good info all about B12 deficiency & how you should be treat, plus on the "useful links" page, follow the link to "Pats Kormics Facebook Group" that group has been a godsend to us & has given me the info & support needed to fight our own doctors & make them follow NICE guidelines to treat both myself & DD. My DD was very ill, she could barely manage a wheelchair, let alone walk & has been to unwell for school for over 18 months - the effect of the B12 injections taken with co factors was nothing short of miraculous. I highly recommend joining the group & asking for help on there - they can also point you to a good MTFTH group too

Danglyweed Wed 24-Aug-16 09:39:45

sadie im 5'5, I personally think the bmi(in my case anyway) is rubbish. Im skinnyish but curvy, def got an inch to pinch lol. Haven't ever really put weight on before, always been the same since teens, except during pregnancy, and yeah im usually freezing, not now with the hot flushes/sweats though.

rocking thanks for the link, just put the dt's to bed so gonna do some reading up and make notes. Couldn't get through to the docs yesterday, need to go into town today so will head in for the drop in clinic.

CuppaTease Wed 24-Aug-16 15:32:08

Have you looked into Essential Tremor? My dad has it. Might be worth asking your GP about, but maybe not the gp that put you on beta blockers!
Good luck x

Danglyweed Thu 25-Aug-16 08:13:12

I have cuppa but my hands shake both while moving/using and while resting. Im a lost cause lol

Lifeisontheup2 Thu 25-Aug-16 10:41:20

I have an essential tremor and the treatment, for me, is beta blockers, it sometimes happens at rest but normally when holding something. It's a lot worse if I'm under stress/angry or concentrating hard.

Danglyweed Thu 25-Aug-16 11:04:24

life i was initially given 10mg propranolol, the lowest dose i think which made me collapse.

Finally got an appt for 3 weeks time

Lifeisontheup2 Thu 25-Aug-16 11:16:32

I take 40mg which is fine for me despite having historically low BP. I'm sure there are some other treatments available if it is a tremor which don't affect you like that. Good luck.

Danglyweed Tue 06-Sep-16 15:12:12

Bit of an update. GP managed to squeeze me in today. He suspects it may be a benign essential tremor, but wanted to have some time to think and chat with other gp's of a good way forward with treatment due to my bad reaction to propranolol. Has also requested more bloods and has said he will compare my previous blood results to see if anything jumps out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now