Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Spinal block dressing

(7 Posts)
Darkhairedgirlbag Fri 19-Aug-16 21:14:16

Had c section a week ago. Whatever they put in my back (presume spinal block or epidural?) got taken out, sprayed with anti-infect any and had a dressing put on it. A week later the dressing is still on and the area hurts. I also have bad backache. Should I take the dressing off? Isn't it still a hole at the moment?

honeysucklejasmine Fri 19-Aug-16 21:16:16

I had an epidural and a spinal block but didn't have a dressing at all. Can you speak to a midwife? Give the post natal ward a ring if you've been discharged already.

5minutestobed Fri 19-Aug-16 21:17:53

I had a spinal and only had a plaster over the hole which I took off after 2 days. That sounds a bit odd, can you get your DP to have a look at it? Maybe ask the midwife/dr? I don't think it should still hurt although it could just be bruised I suppose?

PikachuSayBoo Fri 19-Aug-16 21:19:21

I'm a midwife, take the dressing off. It's fine. We just use a plaster where I work.

Darkhairedgirlbag Fri 19-Aug-16 23:46:51

Thank you! Done!

SockQueen Mon 22-Aug-16 23:03:25

We don't routinely put dressings on after spinal injections as the hole is so small. If it was an epidural, where they leave a little tube in there and remove it after the op, then a small plaster is fine - the hole is still pretty small and will be well on the way to healing after a week, I wouldn't ordinarily leave the dressing on more than a couple of days. Worth talking to your midwife (plus the anaesthetists if necessary) about the pain though - probably just bruising but can be a sign of more significant problems.

MumiTravels Mon 22-Aug-16 23:08:49

I didn't have a plaster at all after my spinal. I'd take it off if you've got pain so you can see what's going on underneath it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now