Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fear of internals

(4 Posts)
JadeFeather Fri 19-Aug-16 17:36:25

Hi

I've had some bouts of thrush and on one occasion the doctor tried to do a swab test on me and I found it extruciating. I'm really scared of doctors touching me down there and have never had a smear ( please don't tell me off sad I just can't do it. I get so nervous. Doctor telling me to relax and saying it won't hurt really doesn't help. I would like to have a baby some day and it worries me. I don't know if it's general health anxiety ( I pass out during blood tests sometimes) or if the pain is real and there's something wrong with me. What should I do?

FunkyMunkies Fri 19-Aug-16 17:50:07

Can you talk to your GP about this- maybe a female GP if possible? You need something like CBT or counselling to get to the bottom of your fear. It sounds as if you have vaginismus .

More here on it www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaginismus/Pages/Introduction.aspx There are various treatments .

Are you in a sexual relationship at the moment? Does sex bring the same problems? Have you had negative experiences of sex? Don't feel you have to answer.

JadeFeather Fri 19-Aug-16 18:08:46

I found my first experience of sex extremely painful after that it was quite uncomfortable for some time but got better as time passed. Now, generally it's fine although occasionally uncomfortable.
Have considered vaginismus but can't work out if it's psychological or physiological ie do I need a counsellor or a physical therapist

FunkyMunkies Fri 19-Aug-16 18:28:00

Maybe both? You won't know which until you have tried one of them- or both! Considering your first experience of sex was painful (but then so is lots of women's- mine was!) you might need to talk this through.

First step is to see your GP and get a referral, or make your own contacts with a counsellor or CBT practitioner from the BACP. There are details of sexual therapists on the NHS link I left.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now