Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Labia reduction on the NHS

(19 Posts)
Lmagl1 Wed 17-Aug-16 17:01:07

Im 19 (without children) and have two large labias. i started puberty very young so have had these for as long as i remember. My two large labias cause me so much discomfort; i constantly am forced to 'rearrange', i cant wear certain underwear and i find wearing shorts or tight trousers a) uncomfortable, and b) noticeable.
It is so awfully painful when it gets trapped, or i find it so unclean during my period which is always incredibly heavy.
I have been to the doctors so many times to attempt to discuss it, but end up finding another issue to talk about instead.
Also, despite being in a relationship now, during my school years i was called a fridge because i wouldnt want to show anybody my body. I still hate showing my boyfriend and i feel it has created a barrier during the relationship which especially became prevalent during our recent holiday.

I want to get them removed, but know my student loan will not cover it / wont be able to make enough money whilst studying my degree, so has anybody actually been successful with the NHS? and is there some sort of guideline to get it seen to? I am registered with the student practise but am concerned they will take it less seriously.
This issue is lowering my confidence and actually recently making me quite sad as my boyfriend said 'do you think you are different, is that why you dont like it?' i am already undergoing counselling privately, so if they suggest more, i would prefer not to.

Please, please, please help, im so very desperate.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 17-Aug-16 17:09:13

You need to see the GP, you can't go any further with anything until you do.

I doubt you'll get anything done on the nhs tbh but worth talking to your GP just in case you're lucky.

Is the discomfort the main issue?

Lmagl1 Wed 17-Aug-16 17:42:49

Okay, so I'm still at home for another month before i return to uni- could i see my old doctor, register temporarily and ask to be referred to a gynaecologist?

the pain is the main cause, when it gets caught, i feel like screaming.

Lmagl1 Wed 17-Aug-16 17:44:44

I've also looked at enlarged labias and it doesn't even seem to be as small as them, it hangs down as long as about an inch.

isthistoonosy Wed 17-Aug-16 17:49:01

Go to the gp and ask for a gynae referral for the pain and also make sure to tell them if it is causing you stress or depression. I know your an adult but taking your mum or an older female relative who can back you up could help you make your point and be heard.

Btw your bf sounds like a nice guy.

PlanD Wed 17-Aug-16 17:54:39

There was another thread about this very recently. There might be helpful on there for you.

PlanD Wed 17-Aug-16 17:58:05

Lmagl1 Wed 17-Aug-16 18:04:35

okay thank you! i am at uni, so the doctors at home I'm not registered to, and therefore, i would need to only temporarily register with them. do i have to wait till i get to uni or can i still do it here?
Unfortunately i am not close with my mum so wouldn't take her, but i agree that another person would actually help.
i was diagnosed with anxiety and depression last august from the doctors, so they are aware.

I took the comment by my boyfriend badly, but thats probably because I'm so sensitive about it, do you think he does not intend to make me feel uncomfortable?

Lmagl1 Wed 17-Aug-16 18:06:02

thank you!!
Only problem is, the discomfort is really the main issue.
If my boyfriend has such an issue, he isn't worth being with and i am able to see that if it does become a problem.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 17-Aug-16 18:13:16

I think your boyfriend asking if you think you are different is a perfectly valid question tbh, sounds like he was trying to work out if it is because you think you're not the same as other people or if the fact it's hurting is getting you down.

You've looked at The Great Wall of Vagina I presume , lots of shapes and sizes there.

You can see any doctor as a visiting patientsmile

Lmagl1 Wed 17-Aug-16 18:25:30

yes he knows I'm so insecure about it but keeps bringing it up, whilst he is so happy about his body. but i think you are probably right as he is a very nice man.
yes i did and was surprised at how small they were compared to mine!!

Footle Wed 17-Aug-16 23:27:45

But the NHS may well help if it's causing you so much distress and discomfort. Don't hesitate any longer - make your appointment.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 17-Aug-16 23:46:51

Ok, I've just put ' long labia' into Google images, take a look OP, your definitely not the only one.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 17-Aug-16 23:47:49

I agree about seeing the doctor if discomfort is the prime reason though.

Cherylene Thu 18-Aug-16 11:23:46

Here is the bicycle saddle thread too - The Guardian article on the Olympics has some useful tips on comfort for cyclists which can be used generally too.

My tips for looking after yourself:

Wear comfortable cotton knickers with a good wide gusset for everyday. Black is a good colour as folds and wrinkles don't show up so much. Save scanty lacy ones for special occasions. Panty liners can help make them more comfy (see below)

Use Demol 500 for washing if you are feeling particularly skanky (lol when I saw it in the Olympic article - been borrowing DH's for a while!) Otherwise plain water will do the job.

Use a lube for sex - natural ones like Yes (buy online) Sylk (Boots) are good. Astroglide is supposed to work well. Avoid the scented hot ones etc.

Breathable pantyliners (like Carefree -not the scented one) are useful for extra protection from seams of tight jeans or trousers that go up your bits.

If you are worried bikini bottoms do not cover properly like the shorts style, then flesh-coloured thongs for underneath can be useful. Go for bold strong patterns if you feel self conscious, rather than plain, light colours.

Cherylene Thu 18-Aug-16 11:26:18

Also, lots of yoga, pilates etc. to keep your core and pelvic muscles toned and healthy. Then you will look really good in big baggy or floaty trousers wink

desperate16 Thu 18-Aug-16 21:02:59

If it's really very sore I'd go and see the doctor - I had a labiaplasty in 2011 and physically it's better, I don't get that pain anymore. I remember feeling awful as I couldn't wear pants without shorts or trousers because it hung over the sides. It used to form a weird 'pouch' as well that caused urine infections. Glad to be rid of them now, what I have now looks like the 'large labia' you see online and that's small enough for me! Confidence wise it hasn't ever done anything but physically it's all better.

Namechangingl Thu 18-Aug-16 21:53:10

I feel the same OP hence the other thread!

Comfort wise - I only wear pants with a decent gusset. I can't wear lace unless it's got a cotton solid gusset that covers all of my lady area. I wear thongs etc but generally only m&s ones with decent gusset

flossietoot Thu 18-Aug-16 21:56:31

You can get it done on the NHS- I had a colleague who had this done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now