Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Exercise with bulging discs.

(7 Posts)
darumafan Tue 16-Aug-16 10:23:08

I have recently had an MRI scan which has shown a variety of issues with my spine.

I have moderate spondylotic changes at L4/L5 and L5/S1 disc levels.

There is also bilateral facet joint arthritis in the lower lumbar spine.

I have complete loss of normal lordosis.

More worryingly, I have moderate central disc bulge at L4/L5 which is indenting the anterior thecal sac but not herniating.

The real worry is at L5/S1, there is moderate central disc bulge which is encroaching into the left lateral recess and impinging upon the exiting left L5 nerve and the left S1 nerve root.

I have seen my doctor who has referred me to a neurosurgeon with the likely outcome being prosthetic discs.

In the meantime, is there any exercise that will help with the pain? I'm in considerable pain and find sitting uncomfortable. I want to keep active because I have managed to lose 3 stone over the last couple of years and really don't want to start regaining it.

I'm a very poor swimmer but love cycling and walking. Any advice would be very gratefully received.

bombayflambe Tue 16-Aug-16 10:27:04

See a physiotherapist before doing anything.
I am currently working on an exercise regime under a physio having suffered with back problems for years. My occasional gung ho attempts had exacerbated the problems.
It has been brilliant: working bits of me I barely remembered but not falling into the trap of working superficial muscles to the detriment of my spaine.

darumafan Tue 16-Aug-16 10:34:06

I wasn't thinking of anything gung ho! I'm too lazy for that! I was thinking of cycling again, I used to cycle to and from work as well as at the weekends. I probably used to cover about 30-40 miles a week.

I miss the feeling of being active, I'm in constant pain and don't want to make things worse though.

How do you get to see a physio? is it a referral from your GP?

yoink Tue 16-Aug-16 10:38:03

As pp said, you need to get advice from a physio, through your GP if you can't go private. Please don't take advice from internet strangers on this, you need specific, expert advice tailored to you.

BennyTheBall Wed 17-Aug-16 21:34:21

My dh had 2 herniated discs at or around L4 and 5 for 4 wretched years.

4 lots of nerve root injections and lots of physio did nothing. He took up cycling which was the only thing he could do without pain (and has become completely addicted).

I am pleased to say he has finally had it fixed (by a neuro surgeon) and is now running, playing football and of course, cycling.

Allthenamesareusedup Wed 17-Aug-16 22:09:01

I had a microdiscetemy on L4/5 a few years back. I found hula-hooping on the Wii Fit really built up my core strength and didn't aggravate my back at all, it helped it a lot. The physio/acupuncture guy mentioned gently circling the hips as each rotation apparently releases pressure on the spinal chord if there's trapped nerves etc going on, so I just built it up. No idea if it would work for anyone else, but I'm back to running and gym now. Had three kids since too!! Hope you find something that works, it's bloody hideous being in constant pain. Good luck with finding the right exercise.

darumafan Thu 18-Aug-16 10:03:15

That's interesting about cycling, I used to cycle regularly. I might give it a go again!

I will try the hip rotation, that sounds gentle, I've become a bit of a coward when it comes to trying stuff. I'm in a lot of pain right now and am struggling to even stand without wanting to cry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now