Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cystic spots/acne - so fed up!

(14 Posts)
PassTheCremeEggs Sun 14-Aug-16 22:58:39

Massive red itchy/painful hard lumpy type spots that are appearing regularly on the my chin (nice...) - only ever between one and three at a time but never seems to be a time with none.

Skincare regime doesn't seem to make any difference regardless of what I try. I am pretty stressed at the moment, so that could be contributing.

Going to book a GP appointment this week (feel a bit silly doing that just for what some would see as a few spots but they're destroying my confidence). What should I be angling for from the GP? Antibiotics? Topical stuff?

Coincidentally I also need to discuss contraception. Been using condoms since last child born and want to discuss what long term contraceptive is best for me. Any I should avoid with these constant bloody cysts? Or any that will make them sod off! All input much appreciated!

PassTheCremeEggs Mon 15-Aug-16 07:46:32

Anyone?

TheGreatDessert Mon 15-Aug-16 07:57:16

I recently stopped taking Yasmin (contraceptive pill). It is AMAZING for skin. I started taking it years ago when my back acne got out of control. I wanted a break from hormonal contraception and now my skin is back to hellish. Face spots and chest spots so far. I await the return of the backne sad. I have a doc appointment in a few weeks and was going to ask about antibiotics but might just go back on the pill.

I'm interested to know about antibiotics. What do they offer? Will it be a life of no spots but constant thrush instead?

turtlesallthewaydown Mon 15-Aug-16 07:58:02

Have the spots only begun after having children? That's what happened with me, always on my nose or cheek, just before my period - they take ages to go and i found it hugely embarrassing as a 40-something, especially at work. Sorry I have no advice for your GP appt other than stress how it is affecting you. And tell them which face wash products you've already tried. A good GP will take you seriously.
I was lucky and found a new routine that sorted my problem (daily use of Boots' Clear Skin face wash and treatment cream fwiw).

Fatrascals Mon 15-Aug-16 08:03:53

Have you tried benzoyl peroxide?
Over the counter. Use it topically on spots/spotty area.
I cleanse with very simple cleanser (Avene) and use this cream on any spots.

If you want contraception though maybe you'll be happy with one which affects skin too.

Otherwise GP should be able to offer other topical treatments and maybe a dermatologist referral?

Roomba Mon 15-Aug-16 08:18:09

I tried various contraceptive pills, including Yasmin, to try and control my cystic acne. In the end I found Mercilon (ethinylestradiol and desogestrel) to be a miracle - all the others made it even worse. After taking Mercilon for a couple of months I didn't get a spot for years.

I had to stop taking it for a while, and within weeks the acne and backne was back. So I tried Cerazette, which also contains desogestrel but no oestrogen, and it worked wonderfully. So it is definitely the desogestrel that agrees with my skin. If one pill doesn't work it's worth trying others.

Am now having flashbacks to when my mum paid for a lovely back massage for me - only I was mortified as the huge spots on my back and shoulders were hideous and so so painful.

MrsMulder Mon 15-Aug-16 08:18:43

I have recently been to the gp with acne. I have taken antibiotics for 2 months and the difference in my skin is amazing. It's never been this clear! I am at the end of my course now and worrying that the spots may come back. If they do I will be straight back to the GP. I am not going back to having spotty, sore skin again

PassTheCremeEggs Mon 15-Aug-16 09:47:07

Thanks all - feel a bit better about going to see GP about it. I used to get the odd spot in my 20s but they are definitely much worse post children - never used to get these un-squeezable horrors before. I think we're conditioned to think bad skin is just a thing you have to put up with, but perhaps that's really not the case.

Fingers crossed GP is sympathetic!

PamelaC Mon 15-Aug-16 12:19:58

Hey, I've suffered with acne for years. Dianette is amazing for skin. The side effect is that it's also a contraceptive! Speak to your GP; seriously, I have cystic acne and this is amazing xx

building2016 Tue 16-Aug-16 13:59:53

I went to the doc (a GP with dermo speciality) about my skin and was prescribed adapalene (Differin) - a cream for cystic acne. Very common in the States. It is helping.

Lionxmas1 Tue 16-Aug-16 23:53:49

Ask to be referred to a dermatologist, I had really bad acne for years big painful cysts! Took roacutane for 7 months and my acne is completely away and I've been off roacutane for 2years ;) best thing i ever done. You can only get it from the dermatologist, have a look st some before and afters on YouTube you will be amazed!

DonkeyHotay Wed 17-Aug-16 00:00:17

Ask for your gp to refer you to a dermatologist. I've tried everything they could prescribe and nothing worked. Currently using Azelaic acid cream and after a couple of weeks it's miles better.

PassTheCremeEggs Wed 17-Aug-16 12:04:47

Thanks all. I saw my GP and she prescribed 2 months of lymecyline tablets and differin gel. I get migraines so combination pill was out of question.

Hopefully they will have some effect. She was very sympathetic. Said if they don't work the next thing to think about is roaccutane but I'm really not keen on the idea - a friend was on it and it had some definite mental effects. It's also only a handful of big spots not a whole face full so think roaccutane would be over the top - at this stage anyway!

karalime Wed 17-Aug-16 12:15:21

I totally get you. I don't have seriously bad acne but I do have a few spots most of the time.

Dianette has made my skin better but is no means perfect. I have started treating it as a long term skin condition and so I am permanently on the acne.org regime.

That means a low concentration of benzoyl peroxide on my face twice a day - now any new breakouts a small and heal quickly. Hopefully now my face will have time to heal and the discolouration will fade!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now