Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fungal toenails - anyone else used Canespro?

(7 Posts)
CoconuttyOil Sat 13-Aug-16 22:11:48

I've been using Canespro (40% urea ointment) for just over 2 weeks on both big toes. The moon & beyond of both nails has gone very white and opaque. Is this normal? I only have 4 or 5 more days to treat and the nails are much better. Just after a bit of reassurance. Has anyone else used Canespro and cured their fungal nails?

AmberGreyson Tue 30-Aug-16 13:05:01

No it's not normal. I had nail fungus and I know how it terrible looks. Better go to GP. He will prescribe you antifungal pills or you can google some home remedies. As far as I know, tea tree oil may help.

ageingrunner Tue 30-Aug-16 13:14:20

I don't know but I've just ordered some from Amazon! Hope it works. The problem with the tablets is you have to take them for 6 months I think? And no alcohol during that time? 😬

PollyPerky Tue 30-Aug-16 13:26:44

I am treating one toenail at present too. I understand the stuff you're using is mainly urea and is meant to dissolve the toenail so it falls off (or the infected part does) and a new nail grows. I am sure this is on the product, and if not, it's on the web because I read it somewhere!!!

The tablets can have serious side effects and some people need to have liver function tests when taking them.

I am trying a mix of Listerine and cider vinegar foot soak, plus tea tree oil separately, twice a day. There is some quite good evidence on the web that these might work.

ageingrunner Tue 30-Aug-16 14:15:21

Could you link to some some information about what you're trying please Polly?

PollyPerky Tue 30-Aug-16 14:25:35

It's purely anecdotal but worth a try.

www.peoplespharmacy.com/2013/12/02/listerine-soaks-proved-effective-against-toenail-fungus/

ageingrunner Tue 30-Aug-16 14:28:37

Great thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now