Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any Dentists? Root canal and antibiotic advice

(8 Posts)
Mummytron Sat 13-Aug-16 09:57:51

I went to the dentist yesterday as I had tooth ache overnight, nothing too dire though. Dentist says I have an infection and need a root canal. I have antibiotics for this week (12th-19th) then I go on holiday for a week (20th-21st) and then I'm having the root canal.(1st Sep)
My question is, the week after I finish my antibiotics while I'm holiday am I like to get pain? Is it ok to wait until the 1st for the root canal?

HawkingsMead Sat 13-Aug-16 16:21:45

Did your dentist think it would be ok to wait a week after the antibiotics?
If the antibiotics don't clear the infection will you have access to medical care while you are away to get more/different antibiotics?

I would worry more about making sure the infection is cleared up before going on holiday - you don't want to have a long standing tooth infection, they can become very serious.

Mummytron Sat 13-Aug-16 20:00:06

Dentist booked the appointment so I guess not
I'm on holiday in this country so yes

I'm on antibiotics so I can't do anymore than that, I'm not medically minded to know if the infection has cleared up

HawkingsMead Sat 13-Aug-16 20:02:28

But were you sick / in pain with the infection? Or had a fever?

If there were no symptoms then I guess you wouldn't have a way to know if it was cleared or not!

stareatthetvscreen Sat 13-Aug-16 20:03:45

i'm in similar situation re tooth - i would say you should be ok but be prepared - ensure you can get to pain killers and be sensible with what you eat.

NotWithoutMyMerkin Sat 13-Aug-16 20:04:16

In my experience the antibiotics kill the infection and it won't return for a while so that short gap shouldn't be an issue. But I'm not a dentist

Mummytron Sat 13-Aug-16 20:24:17

No fever or vomiting but toothache overnight.

I'm guessing the reason why I have to wait is because I was asked if I wanted to pay nhs or privately. I'm thinking I'll ring on Monday and pay privately and get it done before I go, the way I feel at the moment it will be worth every penny!

I don't feel so bad apart from sensitive painful teeth all around the area and a bit off

HawkingsMead Sat 13-Aug-16 20:47:51

Hope you feel better soon and have a good holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now