Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Embarrassing question re post total hysterectomy & cervix removal and sex!

(11 Posts)
EstellaHavisham Wed 10-Aug-16 20:31:31

I don't know who else to ask other than my GP and I will be making an appointment but I wondered if anyone else had experienced this and if I am just a freak!
3 years ago I had a total abdominal hysterectomy and had my cervix removed too so it is stitched up where my cervix would be.

All fine and healed nicely.

I've been finding though that when DH and I have sex a fair bit over a few days and he comes inside me that after a day or so I start getting a bit wiffy vaginally shock

I'm assuming that because the sperm has nowhere to go it kind of gets stuck there (and having sex last thing at night probably doesn't help!!)

What to do about it though (Other than using condoms which takes away one of the benefits of a hyst...)

If you've had the same op have you found this to happen too and if so please tell me what you did about it!

I will be heading to see my GP but it's unlikely unless they've had this op they will really get the issue.

QOD Wed 10-Aug-16 20:56:49

Oh ... Interesting! I could ask my mum for you but that would be all
Sorts of wrong grinwink
Someone will know

Cherylene Wed 10-Aug-16 21:01:26

Mmmmmmmmmmm............. that is a good one hmm

Cervix produces a lot of gunk which helps with the 'cleaning'. It must be a post-meno problem too........hmm

Do you have any hormone replacement etc?

Cherylene Wed 10-Aug-16 21:07:08

If it is a fishy odour, it could be BV. Sometimes it is only evident post-sex.

Post meno, your vaginal pH changes and favours this. Some people get it a lot, or bladder problems, or soreness/dryness or everything.

You could try using something like multigyn actigel or Balanceactiv to get your pH right. Go to the GP and ask for a swab to make sure - they may give you ABs or vagifem (vaginal oestrogen pessaries).

EstellaHavisham Wed 10-Aug-16 21:11:57

Thanks for the replies! I know it's a grim question but I know I can at least discuss it here! grin

I have HRT (oestrogen implant and testosterone implant) and all is fine there, well a bit rocky once they wear off until the next one is implanted but all good anyway)

Quod I feel mortified so I wouldn't dream of putting you through the toe-curling horror of asking a parent about their sex life grin flowers though!

Cherylene I did wonder about douching but I think it's an American thing and isn't advised because it upsets the natural balance inside. I don't really want to replace this with thrush...

If we do it a lot I can get a bit crampy and feel a bit grim, a little like a UTI but it only really occured to me this morning it's probably the sperm 'sitting' there inside me and causing problems.

EstellaHavisham Wed 10-Aug-16 21:14:53

Cherylene
it smells a bit like prawns (sorry!!) is that what BV smells like? Could it be caused by this?

That makes me feel a bit more hopeful that this could be managed then.
I think I did have Vagifem for a short while not long after my op. Does that help with BV?

Cherylene Wed 10-Aug-16 21:19:01

The actigel stuff is like a gel that you put up your vagina and round the external bits. It has an applicator, but I use a bit on my finger (because I am cheap, and the gel goes further wink ). It balances out the pH, so you do not get BV or thrush. I use it a lot, along with the vagifem. I sort of use it as a lubricant too. I wouldn't do douching.

Sometimes the systemic oestrogen does not get to the genitals and you need the vagifem or oestrodiol cream as well to keep things healthy.

Cherylene Wed 10-Aug-16 21:26:32

You can get a microbiology swab done at the doctor but sometimes it comes back with nothing.

The cells in the vagina change with the lower oestrogen and the pH changes. Look up Atrophic Vaginitis.

AtSea1979 Wed 10-Aug-16 21:29:15

I can't say I've noticed this (post op 3 years). Maybe sit in a bath more?

AnotherStitchInTime Thu 11-Aug-16 00:58:03

I had a hysterectomy with cervix removed, but ovaries left in 2.5 years ago. When my vaginal lining is thinner I get a stronger smell after sex. I have oestrogen cream that I use when it gets like this and have sex less often for a while to allow the lining to recover. There is another gel one with no oestrogen in it that is quite good for regular use too, like a longer acting lubricant to reduce irritation. I find going wee just after sex helps. Do get checked out for infection just in case though.

HyacinthBouquetNo1 Thu 11-Aug-16 09:29:01

I had the same op and am on an oestrogen patch and don't have this problem. In fact, I would say things are a lot better than before , less mess IME blush

I agree, see Dr and get a swab, you may have an infection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now