Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does anyone have any experience of monthly bleeding after a subtotal hysterectomy?

(5 Posts)
Deadnettle Tue 09-Aug-16 13:09:43

I had a subtotal hysterectomy 7 weeks ago and since then I've had 2 'periods'. I was told this could happen but that it was rare and if it did happen they could cauterise my cervix. Has anyone experienced this? I have no idea whats involved. I have a GP appointment next week but have not had a follow up appointment with the consultant as he deemed it unnecessary.

I was really looking forward to not needing sanpro anymore and to not worrying about getting blood on clothing/sheets sad

Deadnettle Wed 10-Aug-16 10:08:20

Anyone?

tobee Wed 10-Aug-16 12:23:02

Yes. I had a sub total June last year. I had some monthly bleeding after but not enough for Sanpro. I was a bit freaked but I googled and it is actually quite common. At my follow up appointment from op my gynae was totally un fussed by this. It happened some months but not quite every and I haven't noticed it for a few months. Don't know why.

If you google post sub total forums such as hyster sisters you'll see your not alone. I find what medical people and websites says doesn't always chime in with people's personal experiences iyswim. Hope this helps, good luck.

tobee Wed 10-Aug-16 12:24:00

Just to clarify I did not have any cauterisation.

Deadnettle Wed 10-Aug-16 13:33:55

Thanks tobee. I wouldn't mind it if I didn't need to use sanpro. I've seen the bleeding described as "wipe and go" and that would be fine but mine is much heavier than that but not at all like my periods were.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now