Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Such poor health since having my second child is this normal??

(6 Posts)
Lj85mamma Thu 04-Aug-16 22:16:31

I'm a stay at home mum aged 31 with two kids, my eldest is three and my youngest 18 months. There's 21 months between them. Since getting pregnant with my youngest my health has really suffered, I had gestational diabetes, then once I had my son my thyroid was underactive, my periods went crazy heavy and started lasting 14 days, low iron, and I had a vitamin d deficiency. These things have all corrected themselves with medication and time, however, my energy levels are still on the floor, I have dizzy spells and periods of real exhaustion. I go to the go and I get told it's because I'm a mum of two young kids, they run blood tests don't find anything wrong and I go home and struggle on with my exhaustion. Now my hair has started falling out, I'm talking loads of hair every day for the last month I don't have patches yet but it has dramatically thinned (I naturally have lots of hair which is why I think I don't have patches yet). My gp says its stress and basically to just ride it out. I'm getting joint pain now as well and feeling movement in my stomach (not pregnant I checked!) but I read this can be quite common after having children, muscle twitching?? I'm getting enough sleep, not an abundance but a good amount, I have a fabulous support system, I'm slightly overweight at 5ft 4 and 11st but not morbidly obese or anything. I just want to know if this is all normal? I feel twice my age. I want to get checked out privately (I have insurance) but what could I get referred for? I just don't feel right. Thanks for reading

Fettuccinecarbonara Thu 04-Aug-16 22:55:28

I sympathise!
Try folic acid supplements. Most blood tests don't check them, but I was borderline low.
I now have to take these and vitamin d tablets daily in order to feel even slightly human.

MsMims Fri 05-Aug-16 00:40:01

Sorry that your GP has been so useless. This is clearly not normal. What blood tests have you had and do you have a copy of the results? Even if your results are 'normal' (in range) they need to be optimal or some people can feel very unwell.

I would definitely insist on new bloods for thyroid, iron and vitamin D. B12 too if you can persuade gp.

Lj85mamma Fri 05-Aug-16 06:59:19

Thanks for the replies, I've been tested a few times for thyroid, vit d, full blood count, diabetes, liver function. I don't have a copy of the results but that's a good point, I will definitely get one. I'm taking a well woman supplement. I was taking really strong iron but the side affects were not nice.

redannie118 Fri 05-Aug-16 15:16:38

Joint pain,tiredness and hair loss could be auto immune (like lupus for example)ask for your ana levels and inflammation markers checked. You can be symptomatic and not have blood markers but only a rhuematologist could tell you that,good luck op

Lj85mamma Fri 05-Aug-16 16:23:00

Went to my GP again today and said I've just had enough with feeling so bad, he tried to tell me that it will pass and it's just a "transient period" and my symptoms are quite non specific, but I insisted on being referred to someone privately and he agreed to refer me to a rheumatologist so hopefully I get some answers. I will ask about lupus as I have found that online when I put in my symptoms. Go has also given me a blood test form for hormone levels. Thanks x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now