Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

under active thyroid - am I on the right dosage

(6 Posts)
hartmel Thu 04-Aug-16 19:32:24

I know you guys are not doctors! But I'm on 25 mcg for the last 3 years!
My last blood result was taken on July 29th
Free T3 4.93 (3.7-6.9)
TSH 3.48 (0.4-4.2)
Free T4 12.7 (9.7-25.7)

Instead loosing weight I'm gaining!
I have mood swings!
Facial hair growth
My hormones are all over.
Irregular cycles!

I spoke with so many doctors already and they are not listening!

So my question to those that have an underactive thyroid and have similar results like mine. On what dosage are you on?

MsMims Fri 05-Aug-16 00:47:20

Poor treatment- your TSH should be closer to 1 and your T4 is right at the bottom of the range. Don't know about T3.

Would recommend reposting this on the health unlocked thyroid UK site. Very knowledgeable members there who can advise better.

Quietlygoingmad67 Fri 05-Aug-16 00:50:35

Mmmm I get all of your symptoms and I take 200mcg! After a discussion at doctors I'm having further tests and then back to GP. I do think some of my symptoms are linked to PCOS (I have 2 DD's without fertility treatment) and menopause.

Quietlygoingmad67 Fri 05-Aug-16 00:56:50

OP. Have you ever been investigated for PCOS? It's a 'simple' internal/or external ultrasound to look at your ovaries.

hartmel Fri 05-Aug-16 03:53:50

Thank you
I did get diagnosed with PCOS 4 years ago! Then half a year later they found out that I have an underactive thyroid and 1 month on medication I got pregnant with my first child (a son) exactly 13 month after he was born I gave birth to a beautiful daughter! (Who will be 2 in October) and since then the symptoms worsened!
I went from a size 9 to size 16
Had postpartum depression for almost a year!

I tried changing my diet
Did excersies

I will try to find a doctor that will finally listen to me

Pleasemrstweedie Fri 05-Aug-16 13:08:06

25mcg is a quarter of the recommended starting dose for an otherwise healthy person under fifty and, because of the way the feedback loop works, is likely to make you feel worse rather than better. You have all the symptoms of being under-medicated.

Can you change doctors and find one who understands that your FT4 and FT3 need to be at the top of their reference ranges, which will take TSH down to the bottom of its range?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now