Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

prostate

(8 Posts)
feelingscaredagain Tue 02-Aug-16 21:25:20

DH (40) has raised psa levels (3 or 5, he can't remember but increased from last year) and mri is showing a small dark area or shadow which isn't conclusive but should be investigated. Dr has said he can leave it and be monitored for another few months or get biopsy. I'm so worried and hoping there's "another" explanation. Please can anyone offer reassurance in the meantime. Thank you.

feelingscaredagain Tue 02-Aug-16 21:43:19

feelingscaredagain Tue 02-Aug-16 21:43:51

feelingscaredagain Tue 02-Aug-16 22:04:33

Anyone with a similar experience?

PollyPerky Wed 03-Aug-16 09:22:11

So sorry you are worried.
No experience personally, but do know that the PSA test is known to be inaccurate.
Is the Dr you quote a consultant or his GP? If the former, I'd be happy to take their advice, if his GP, I'd not be. If he is eligible for a biopsy then they ought to do it now- why wait? Prostate cancer in young men can be aggressive whereas in old men they usually die from another cause.
I don't think this decision over treatment ought to be left to you asking on a forum or your DH- his consultant ought to be managing his care and should do the necessary tests sooner not later.

feelingscaredagain Wed 03-Aug-16 10:44:08

Was consultant. He is going to get biopsy. Was hoping someone could tell me raised levels and scan could still mean something less frightening. I am feeling - all over the place.

PollyPerky Wed 03-Aug-16 11:06:14

what has the consultant said? have they not said it could be X or it could be Y? Have you looked online at sites like Cancer Research UK for info, or on sites for men with these symptoms? There is probably something out there where you can talk to more people.
Obviously the psa can be inaccurate and presumably the shadow on the mri could be something innocuous and benign- what's the dr said?

feelingscaredagain Wed 03-Aug-16 16:36:49

Thanks for your reply. I wasn't there so not sure exactly what was said. DH said it could be an Infection maybe, but no symptoms of such. Consultant advised biopsy, though up to DH of course. Has been an issue re elevating psa over last year or two, though slow I suppose getting to 5 last month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now