Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Coeliac testing on no gluten

(16 Posts)
MoreSnowPlease Tue 02-Aug-16 13:41:25

Does anyone know how important it is to be eating gluten for 6 weeks is before testing for coeliac?

I stopped eating gluten for about 2 weeks but not strictly so small amounts would still have gone in. Then I went to ask for a test, and was told I need to eat gluten for 6 weeks before testing. But I wasn't doing gluten free really strictly, I probably had the equivilant of 2 slices of bread in the 2 weeks gluten free.

I feel really awful and can't wait!

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Tue 02-Aug-16 15:22:11

It is very important to keep eating gluten and preferably at two meals each day before a coeliac test.
Was it for the blood test?

coffeemaker5 Tue 02-Aug-16 17:29:29

DH was tested and was strictly advised not to cut out or restrict gluten.

I think the blood test is looking for something the body produces when it (over)reacts to gluten so if you cut the gluten, your test is pointless

MoreSnowPlease Tue 02-Aug-16 18:57:41

sad ok, it's for my son as well and he is so much better when off gluten and my symptoms are so bad really getting me down.

Ok well, guess we'll stick with it. Thanks!

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 02-Aug-16 19:07:37

The test is for antibodies if you are not eating gluten there will be no antibodies do you will get a false negative.

sumsumsum Tue 02-Aug-16 19:11:18

I'm really surprised at my GP, who swore blind I should have the blood test despite not having eaten gluten for years. It's quite an oversight, isn't it?

Ellybellyboo Tue 02-Aug-16 19:11:39

DD1 is coeliac and when she had her tests we had to keep her eating gluten.

It was horrible and really upset me as it was making her feel so unwell, but they can't test or diagnose properly without the antibodies.

Sending lots of unmumsnetty hugs as I remember how awful it was for DD

MoreSnowPlease Tue 02-Aug-16 19:21:37

I suppose what I don't understand is that my symptoms are there, so my body must be reacting to the gluten and if I have symptoms then the results should be positive, no?

Ellybellyboo Tue 02-Aug-16 19:23:53

When they do the blood test, they are looking for the antibodies your body produces when you eat gluten.

If you don't eat the gluten, there will be no antibodies, so you then get a false negative.

BuggertheTabloids Tue 02-Aug-16 19:27:21

It is essential to keep eating gluten before the test. If a biopsy is required then you have to keep eating gluten for 6 weeks before that too

Ellybellyboo Tue 02-Aug-16 19:29:30

Just to add, my DD had an endoscopy too.

It was really important that she continued to eat gluten as the endoscopy was to take a biopsy to check for inflammation that would only show up if she continued to eat gluten.

Ellybellyboo Tue 02-Aug-16 19:30:03

Sorry, took so long to type that I x-posted

bobbinpop Tue 02-Aug-16 19:30:29

Eat all the stuff you enjoy at least, before you have to worry about accidentally consuming crumbs! I've just had the first test and i'm really hoping it's negative.

Minime85 Wed 03-Aug-16 17:07:27

You need to eat it yes to show the antibodies or lack of which ever way round it is. My tests was negative but I don't eat it now at all as makes me so poorly. I suspect I perhaps wasn't eating it enough at the time either but wasn't told to which was 14yrs ago. No way I could put myself through that now as even if I just eat a tiny bit I get cramps and running to the loo.

notapizzaeater Wed 03-Aug-16 17:13:55

And you need to be eating a decent amount if gluten - at least 2 slices of bread a day, preferably more. It's horrible when you know it's making you so I'll to keep going

MoreSnowPlease Thu 04-Aug-16 22:23:53

Ok thanks everyone , off to crispy creme doughnuts to make the most of this ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now