Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Crackling chest. Would you see a gp?

(18 Posts)
Fettuccinecarbonara Sun 31-Jul-16 19:42:00

I had a bit of a sore throat about 10-14 days ago. It turned into a cough which was worse at night and productive, despite having no cold/flu symptoms.
About a week ago I was slightly feverish and tired. I noticed my cough had increased and I sounded chesty and wheezy.
The fever passed without much severity. I still worked, looked after kids etc, just more tired than usual.

I'm now a bit achy, but nothing much. Not feverish, but still have this cough which is worse at night, and can be difficult to catch my breath during.

When I lie down I can also hear my chest crackling, quite loudly, with every breath.

I just wondering if this will pass or if I ought to visit the GP as Google is quite alarming!

I lost my dad 4 years ago to Lung cancer but I'm trying to keep this in perspective whilst quietly shitting myself

Cocolepew Sun 31-Jul-16 19:48:23

Yes I would go, you might need anti biotics.

Jacobbay Sun 31-Jul-16 19:49:32

I would see a GP. I had a cough/cold that wouldn't shift which led to a tight chest. Turned out to be pneumonia.

ImperialBlether Sun 31-Jul-16 19:49:46

I would go to the doctor tomorrow; it sounds like a chest infection.

My dad had lung cancer and didn't have those symptoms.

MrPony Sun 31-Jul-16 19:50:16

Mmm the crackling would worry me slightly. Have you counted your breathing rate when it's bad? That's always a good indicated of how hard you are working to breathe.

Fettuccinecarbonara Sun 31-Jul-16 19:51:19

Bugger. I've got a very busy week grin

Jacobbay - would you not be very poorly with pneumonia? I've had it before but was utterly bedridden. I'm honestly fine, just creaky and a bit lethargic.

FruitCider Sun 31-Jul-16 19:51:24

I wouldn't go unless I had been ill for more than 3 weeks. Crackling is normal for me with a viral infection.

Essexmum69 Sun 31-Jul-16 19:53:30

Is the cough still productive?
Yuck alert And if so what colour is it?

Fettuccinecarbonara Sun 31-Jul-16 19:54:44

I'm lying next to my youngest child (where I've been for far too long)
I'm currently breathing fine, maybe a bit shallower than usual if I consider it in any detail, and quite crackly. I'm very relaxed and have breathed 23 times in the last minute. I feel like I'm breathing normally.

Fettuccinecarbonara Sun 31-Jul-16 19:55:31

Cough is productive but I swallow not spit grin

If I had to spit, I'd probably be sick.

Essexmum69 Sun 31-Jul-16 19:59:53

Unfortunately colour is the best indication for you to tell if antibiotics are needed. White/clear/pale yellow - not likely to be a problem, dark green - you need antibiotics.

Essexmum69 Sun 31-Jul-16 20:01:35

23 BPM is a bit high for an adult at rest, should be 12 to 16.

FruitCider Sun 31-Jul-16 20:02:48

It's normal for resp rate to be higher if someone has a high temperature wink

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Sun 31-Jul-16 20:06:01

It does sound like a chest infection. If the feverish phase has passed and you feel like you are getting better then I would wait it out. Obviously if you are feeling dire/have a fever/start coughing up blood/don't improve within a week or so get yourself to a doctor, but it doesn't sound like you a seriously ill.

Fettuccinecarbonara Sun 31-Jul-16 20:09:00

Brilliant! I'm happy with2 or more people telling me I don't need to see a doctor.

Fever passed, am moving about and doing things just as normal. You would not know I was ill except for occasional need for painkillers as I get achy easily, and a bit more tired early evening. And then the nighttime cough/crackle on repeat.

I'll try and cough up some mucus to see what it's like heave
And I'll see doc if still crackly next week.

Good advice, thank you all smile

ImperialBlether Sun 31-Jul-16 20:15:48

Are you reading the same posts that I am, OP? I think one person has said you needn't go and lots have told you to go.

Fettuccinecarbonara Sun 31-Jul-16 22:18:48

Oh Imperial, maybe I ought to go then. I'm so indecisive! It's because I don't feel unwell, but I am making noise after each breath.

I read that 2 people had said to leave it as its not uncommon. Looking back 3 had said to go and see the gp - the rest were asking questions.

FruitCider Mon 01-Aug-16 09:34:17

The NHS advice is to see a GP if a cough lasts longer than 3 weeks, that's what I based my answer on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now