Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Are there any bad consequences to shingle vaccination?

(5 Posts)
fredfortoday Sat 30-Jul-16 21:37:33

Are there any reported bad consequences to having the shingle inoculation? I know that not all affects are always widely reported so wondered if anyone has had experience of bad consequences after having this in older people. Thanks .

fredfortoday Sun 31-Jul-16 19:05:56

anyone??

prokupatuskrakedatus Mon 01-Aug-16 12:45:36

I've done a bit of research, because DMIL chaught it (head area) and now suffers from permanent nerve damage that makes wearing glasses and hearing aids painful.

I could not find any mention of really negative side effects of this vaccination. Not even in the publications of the 'Anti-Vaccinationers'.

The Stiko (the board responsible for recommending vacciantions in Germany) informed that
- the vaccine does not grant complete immunity but lessens the severity of the illness and the risk of subsequent nerve dammage
- side effects in healthy people: local redness, a slight rash, headaches
- Dangers: unknownn allergies to any component of the vaccine
- No vaccinations for people with an impaired immune system.

I hope this helped a little bit.

Sidge Mon 01-Aug-16 12:48:25

I haven't had it but I've given it to plenty.

It's quite a restricted vaccine in terms of eligibility and contraindications, especially being a live vaccine. Many of my patients have told me it gave them a very sore arm and they felt quite off colour for a few days. No major side effects reported back to us though.

Seeline Mon 01-Aug-16 12:52:19

A couple of my mum's friends have had it and gone on to develop shingles soon after. One of them had a sort of recurring episode that kept coming and going.
Despite this, she went on to have the vaccination, with no side effects. She had shingles about 40 years ago and didn't want to repeat the experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now