Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I'm really worried about my back

(14 Posts)
Lottielou7 Fri 29-Jul-16 08:29:46

The GP thinks I have a slipped disc and 3 weeks on its still agony. I'm not feeling any better and they just keep giving me high doses of painkillers and diazepam which makes me sleepy all the time.

I have 3 children to look after, one of whom is severely disabled and another with ADHD.

I am afraid it won't get better. I can't do any of the usual things I could and my mum says if I have to have an operation my children will have to go into care. I don't want to lose my children and I feel there is a clock ticking and I have to be better within a certain amount of time.

I'm just worried my back will never be the same again. Does anyone have a positive story?

Lottielou7 Fri 29-Jul-16 13:33:15

Bump, also the pain killers are making me feel sick.

LineyReborn Fri 29-Jul-16 13:41:35

Lottie I do have a positive story. I had a prolapsed disc a year and a half ago and the first few weeks were awful. But gradually it improved and it's now really good.

My GP prescribed Naproxen and Tramadol (with paracetamol), for six weeks. Worked well for me. Plus he advised keeping active, so I walked a fair bit but avoided lifting.

After that, it was ibuprofen and paracetamol.

It must be so worrying for you - my DCs were older teenagers when it happened so it wasn't an issue so much for me - and I wonder if your GP or local authority can advise you on asking for a statutory assessment?

flowers

LineyReborn Fri 29-Jul-16 13:43:07

If you're on Naproxen btw you should be taking something like Omeprazole beforehand to protect your stomach.

Wolfiefan Fri 29-Jul-16 13:44:00

Me! An MRI will tell you the full story. I have three slipped discs and some arthritis.
Surgery is generally not necessary unless there are complications. If you experience bowel or bladder issues or numbness where you would sit on a saddle then seek medical attention ASAP.
It takes a while to find the right painkillers.
Physio can help loads.
Walk. Try and avoid sitting down.
I know it isn't helpful but actually being (understandably) anxious can make the pain worse!

Lottielou7 Fri 29-Jul-16 14:20:46

Thank you for your replies - the doctor is giving me a high dose of co codamol and also diazepam to get the stiffness out. Today I've been feeling really sick. Yes sitting is definitely the worst - walking does help. I don't have any numbness when sitting down or problems going to the loo but I have pains running down the backs of my legs and front of my thighs.

AndNowItsSeven Fri 29-Jul-16 14:25:03

Lottie please don't worry all that will happen re care is that social services will organise for your dc to go into foster care while you have your operation and recover. That is optional though at your request if you have no family or friends that can look after them.

LineyReborn Fri 29-Jul-16 14:25:21

Has the doctor definitely ruled out sciatica or shingles?

I'd ring up and ask about switching medications for a while. It's quite normal to try things out till you get something that suits.

Somanyvipers Fri 29-Jul-16 14:28:19

Have you read 'Healing Back Pain' by Dr John E. Sarno? I can't recommend it enough.

Lottielou7 Fri 29-Jul-16 16:44:55

Thank you for your replies. Apparently I won't be able to get physio therapy until September. I am irritating myself because I feel so grumpy and depressed because I'm in pain and it makes me feel guilty.

trinity0097 Sat 30-Jul-16 06:47:28

A chiropractor? A doctor told me I had a slipped disc, totally untrue, a chiropractor sorted it out for me and I was immediately off the drugs.

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Sat 30-Jul-16 07:02:28

I would also recommend a chiropractor, BUT be careful, because some of them make you go over and over again and it gets expensive! My chiropractor sees you a maximum of 3 times before referring you on if the pain has not eased. She diagnosed my need for a hip replacement and sent me for an MRI scan (privately) to confirm after 3 visits.
If you're in the Midlands, I would HIGHLY recommend her.

Lottielou7 Sun 31-Jul-16 11:43:54

Thank you - I am in the midlands actually.

Badders123 Sun 31-Jul-16 14:58:01

May I have her details please!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now