We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Heat rash, bites or something else?

(3 Posts)
Raaaaaaash Mon 25-Jul-16 22:48:06

I've been getting some bites recently which have resulted in two large, extremely angry patches of eczema so far. I'm taking 120-240 mg fexofenadine a day for hayfever mostly (but upping the dose to try to deal with bites) and, since the eczema reared its head, using Dermovate with good effect.

However.

After going to the beach yesterday with socks and trainers on, I woke up with a LOT of small red bumps I first assumed must somehow be bites from sand fleas or something that had got into my shoes/socks, or from something very hungry in my bed last night. This was mostly on the inside of my left foot. After wearing socks and trainers all day as a precaution (walked through some wooded areas today), I now am absolutely covered in them and they look worse than before. They don't, however, itch as much as when I have something that is clearly a bite.

Can anyone tell me what this is? I'm going on holiday in a few days and desperate to hear whether I should be going back to the GP for something else and whether I should be avoiding open shoes or closed shoes on the basis of this!

Thanks very much in advance.

PS Ignore the blister on my big toe, that's from some new sandals.

Haggisfish Mon 25-Jul-16 22:50:44

It looks more like urticaria. I would go to pharmacist or gp just to check. Fleas? Ivy allergy from woods?

Raaaaaaash Tue 26-Jul-16 15:57:49

It had spread up my legs when I woke up so I went to the GP. Turns out I'm now allergic to penicillin and that's what the rash was.
I've been given a three-day course of prednisolone 25mg to clear it up more quickly. I guess that solves the mystery! Forgot to mention I was taking penicillin, I started on Thursday and got this for the first time on Monday so I just didn't make the connection at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now