Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cervical ectropion - experiences?

(9 Posts)
PetaPipa Fri 22-Jul-16 18:33:03

Apparently I have one, it was noticed at my last smear and the nurse said it explains the mid-cycle spotting I had been getting. Anyway, it wasn't causing much trouble so I let it be, and apparently they are meant to clear up by themselves? But the last two months I have started spotting mid cycle and continued until my next period. Seems like it's getting worse :-( I have an appointment booked with the gp, and hoping for a referral but just wondering if anyone else has experience of this? Information online is so inconsistent and I'm worried about what is causing this spotting and why it has suddenly got worse :-(

PipnPosy Fri 22-Jul-16 18:47:54

I had one years ago-i had spotting and post-coital bleeding. I had it cauterised in an outpatient appt at a local hospital which was absolutely fine and it's given me no trouble since. Hope you get it sorted soon, I was very worried about it at the time, but with hindsight it wasn't a major problem.

PetaPipa Fri 22-Jul-16 19:46:17

Thanks PipnPosy. I probably am making too much of it. Can you remember if you spotted at the same time of the month, or was it random?

Lovemylittlebears Fri 22-Jul-16 19:52:46

Apparently I have one as the doctor told me during last smear - I wouldn't have known otherwise but don't really understand what the implications are as have read some mixed things online x

PetaPipa Fri 22-Jul-16 20:09:24

Yes, it's the mixed stuff that's worrying me I think. And the fact that the spotting has got worse lately :-(

PipnPosy Fri 22-Jul-16 22:15:39

I did have spotting mid-cycle and for the 3 or so days coming up to my period but I don't know if that was to do with the ectropion or a hormonal thing. Try to step away from Google, it never helps! You've already been told you have an ectropion and chances are the spotting is down to that. The most important thing is you have a docs appt booked to get it all sorted and put your mind at rest, which I hope all happens as soon as poss smile

PetaPipa Sat 23-Jul-16 07:37:31

Thanks PipnPosy

ParisGellar Mon 25-Jul-16 18:49:50

I've just been diagnosed with this too, I had post coital and mid cycle bleeding. My GP has given me the progesterone only pill on top of my implant as she thinks the implant isn't enough hormone to prevent the ectropion bleeding, and it's being irritated after sex hence the bleeding.

puzzledbyadream Tue 26-Jul-16 12:23:58

This is well-timed, I have a gyno appointment for post-coital bleeding and at my first smear I bled a lot. I hadn't thought to get it checked out until the nurse suggested it. Suspect I have an ectropion as the smear came back normal, we'll see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now