Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thyroid test results

(3 Posts)
BeJayKayven Wed 20-Jul-16 10:58:38

Inspired by a previous thread....
I take 75mcg thyroxine per day but over the last few years I've noticed a relentless hair loss,. I had very thick hair, now it's pretty noticeably fine and weak from the fringe area and back a bit. Dr says thyroid results are normal TSH is 0.94 and Free T4 is 14.5. Does this look ok?

Not to drip feed, I've also got raised ESR which has been monitored for 3 months

Pleasemrstweedie Wed 20-Jul-16 12:11:48

I don’t suppose for a minute your GP has acknowledged that hair loss can be a side effect of Levothyroxine? The patient information leaflet refers only to temporary hair loss in children, but there’s lots of anecdotal evidence that it affects adults too and is far from temporary.

We could do with the reference ranges for those results you’ve given. They vary from place to place and it is where you are within the reference range that is important. For example, where I live, the reference range for FT4 is 9-26, so a result of 14.5 is very much on the low side. Your range may be different.

I am however conscious that 75mcg is a low dose of thyroxine and you may simply be under-medicated, but without the reference ranges, it’s difficult to be sure.

OhMyWord16 Thu 21-Jul-16 19:26:01

Have you had a Full Blood Count and Iron Stores Bloods (Ferritin) recently?
Ferritin needs to be 70+ for new hair growth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now