Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Period help

(3 Posts)
YouSay Mon 18-Jul-16 21:15:00

Help. My cycle has dropped to just 21 days. My bleeding lasts a full week so there is just 14 days between the end of one and the start of the next. I am bleeding 14 days a month. I am 40. What is going on?

tobee Mon 18-Jul-16 23:59:29

First stop see your GP. They might give you a physical exam and take period related history and refer you to gynae who might do an internal ultrasound. It could be for example a cyst or fibroids, womb thickening etc. Or might show nothing. Sorry to be vague but these were the things they checked for me when my periods went haywire. Oh and maybe bloods to check for anaemia. Good luck.

PollyPerky Tue 19-Jul-16 08:02:46

Your GP also needs to do the right blood tests to test for early menopause. Irregular cycles are the first sign so this needs checking out. Early menopause is classed as between 40-45 and it's important to be diagnosed because treatment like HRT is recommended as standard to prevent osteoporosis and heart disease risks in middle age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now