Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone have an experience of taking Keppra tablets?

(5 Posts)
HarumScarumSanitarium Mon 18-Jul-16 20:14:12

Dmil had a seizure recently and has been advised to take Keppra tablets, even though they are not entirely sure whether she has epilepsy or if the seizure was a one off.

Dmil does not want to take them as they can have terrible side effects such as psychological problems - ie anxiety, suicidal thoughts, crabbiness. She tells me it is 10 per cent who people taking the tablets who experience this so is worried.

Do you or anyone you know take this and have you had any problems?

Thanks

Out2pasture Mon 18-Jul-16 20:19:24

my hubby has been on them for maybe a decade....no psychological problems what so ever.

booksandcoffee Mon 18-Jul-16 21:30:48

I have been tasking keppra for well over a decade and it works. It is much gentler than older drugs, not leaving you feeling as stoned as, say,epillimor phenabarbatone. I do have anxiety issues, but to be honest I think that has more to do with my life experiences. The anxiety did not suddenly increase when I started taking keppra. To be honest, your MiL will soon know if there are side effects and can always come off or reduce the dosage if it gets too bad. Good luck to her.

booksandcoffee Mon 18-Jul-16 21:32:06

Lots of honesty there!

HarumScarumSanitarium Tue 19-Jul-16 08:58:13

Thank you all for you responses. I will pass this onto her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now