Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bleeding despite mirena coil

(6 Posts)
AllTheFluffyAnimals Sat 16-Jul-16 22:47:36

I've had my coil for around 18 months now and it's fabulous, I went from horrible painful periods to absolutely nothing.

BUT for the last week I have been bleeding. I have been to the gp and she has checked the coil is still in place and taken swabs etc which I presume have come back clear as she said she would ring me if they didn't.

It's not just the bleeding though, my joints are painful and my mental health is deteriorating - both symptoms I used to suffer with to the point of needing a walking stick. I have bipolar disorder too.

Anyway, can anyone share any stories of similar situations? Did the bleeding stop? Did normal periods start up regularly again? Or did it all go back to lovely stable pain-free coil life?

NeedACleverNN Sat 16-Jul-16 22:53:32

I have the mirena and I still bleed every few months.

I am getting mine removed in the next few weeks though.

I have no libido and I'm pretty sure it's caused me to be more anxious and depressed in life

AllTheFluffyAnimals Sat 16-Jul-16 22:59:03

I'm really scared as I have had such a life changing improvement in my mental health over about the time of having the coil, and it's suddenly declined again over the last couple of weeks, to the point where I am suffering from psychosis again on a low level. I'm having to take painkillers again for my joints too.

NeedACleverNN Sat 16-Jul-16 23:01:09

Sounds like you need to see a doctor

Could the implant help you instead?

AllTheFluffyAnimals Sat 16-Jul-16 23:06:17

I was told the coil is the most effective as the hormones are exactly where they need to be if you see what I mean.

I can't go on the combined pill due to my bipolar meds and I've tried the mini pill which made things not as bad bleeding wise but didn't help my mental health or joints and made me bleed lightly for most of the month. I'm guessing the implant might be like that :-(

NeedACleverNN Sat 16-Jul-16 23:20:16

I am not the best versed in contraceptives especially combined with bi-polar so I hope someone will come along soon.

But you should definitely make an appointment with your doctor and discuss things

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now