Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Period Pain Medication?

(13 Posts)
Katymac Fri 15-Jul-16 10:39:21

Didn't there used to be one that you took 3 days before your period was due? Am I mis-remembering or is it prescription only now.....I can't see it at Boots

insan1tyscartching Fri 15-Jul-16 10:41:59

Mefanemic acid is what you need but ibruprofen taken for three days before you are due will also reduce bleeding and pain. Feminax in the purple packet work brilliantly for me they are from behind the counter only though.

insan1tyscartching Fri 15-Jul-16 10:44:24

Found these on the boots website www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharmaceuticals-Cyklo-F-Heavy-Period-Relief-500mg-Tablets-Tranexamic-Acid-18-Tablets-_1178972/

Katymac Fri 15-Jul-16 10:49:09

Tranexamic Acid is the one I was thinking about

Thank you

conkerpods Fri 15-Jul-16 11:08:51

I take Starflower oil every day 1000mg and my periods are far less painful. Still heavy but I can deal with that more easily of not in agony.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 15-Jul-16 11:41:59

conkerpods and katymac,

Has anyone tried to properly investigate the cause of your heavy painful periods? Taking such stuff is all very well and good but it does not address the cause. You need to determine the cause and in some cases the cause of ongoing painful periods (and heavy bleeding) is endometriosis. Its all too easy to get fobbed off by GPs because this is really outside their general remit.

Katymac Fri 15-Jul-16 13:36:08

Attila - I needed advise for DD - the GP suggested the pill but she won't take it so I am stumped

My problems were dealt with when my dad found me unconscious on the bathroom floor at 3am one morning when I was 15 - a hospiatla visit later & I was on the pill which pretty much sorted it. More recently all my period problems have been filed under 'the change' so ignored - which I guess is fine as I have so many other problems I can't count them!! Never mind deal with them effectively

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 15-Jul-16 15:00:27

Katymac

Why does she not want to take the pill?. Does she use a hot water bottle and such like?. Are your DDs periods persistently very painful?. Has she had to take time off school?.

Sorry for all the questions but if the answers to the last two questions in particular are yes then it is really in her interests to see a gynaecologist and I would push the GP for such a referral if she is willing. I only wish that my mum had done this with me, it would perhaps have saved me many years of severe period pains along with sciatic and pelvic pain (it was all linked).

BTW I have all the "classic" symptoms of endo and yet no-one recognised it. Even now I have come across ignorance from GPs who think its quite uncommon. It gives me no pleasure at all to tell them that infact endo is the second most common gynaecological problem seen in women after fibroids.

In my case is that no-one wanted to give the pill to me when I was 15 (my period issues started upon onset of menses at 14). It was only in my early 30s that I was diagnosed with endometriosis.

Think you've been fobbed off with regards to your own period/gynae issues due to a lack of awareness.

Katymac Fri 15-Jul-16 19:21:06

She's an awkward teenager

She say the practise nurse today so hopefully it's sorted

Our surgery are a little fed up with me tbh

conkerpods Sat 16-Jul-16 00:50:20

atilla I have spent most of my life taking hormonal contraception to cope with my period pain. Doctors have always just said I have heavy and painful periods. hmm
I got pregnant very easily and have recently had some unusual bleeding so I've been having regular scans and tests. Currently waiting for a hysteroscopy but in all my scans everything has been ok,no fibroids or pcos or anything. My mum also suffered with her periods and had a hysterectomy at 42. So I'm just unlucky. Although as I said before I can cope with the flow if the pain is under control which it now is thank goodness.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 16-Jul-16 08:26:33

Unfortunately endometriosis is not all too readily diagnosed and some doctors just do not think of it as a possible cause.

Scans and such like will not detect endometriosis if it is present; that may well be the reason why you actually have both heavy and painful periods.
You have been fobbed off, no-one has actually managed to properly determine the root cause. Endo as well can go down the female line and I am not altogether surprised your mother had similar issues.

I would try and get an appointment with a gynae if you have not already done this and ask this person straight out whether endo is a possibility here. I would also keep a daily pain and symptom diary also if you do not already do this as this can also give such people clues.

2ndSopranosRule Sat 16-Jul-16 22:31:03

Listen to Atilla; she knows her stuff!

I have lots of symptoms of endometriosis and the gynae I saw a couple of months ago agreed. She didn't think a label would help me though hmm. I'll revisit that one day.

Anyway, I've had some success with cocodamol; I can't take anything even vaguely related to ibuprofen.

chocolatespiders Sat 16-Jul-16 22:37:16

My DD used to take buscopan to help with period cramps but after missing school a lot decided to go on the pill at 15 and never looked back..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now