Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Patchy pubes

(6 Posts)
Whitwhoo Thu 14-Jul-16 22:17:32

Ive noticed over the last few months a definite bald patch in the middle of my mons pubis. It's about the size of a 50p. I've never been hugely hairy down there, so it's not massively noticeable. Head, leg and underarm hair is normal - no changes.

Should I be concerned? A very brief consultation with Dr Google (as I have a tendency towards health anxiety) seemed to indicate that thinning pubic hair is probably just a symptom of growing older, but I'm only 36. Another explanation was thyroid related but it didn't really fit, as I have no other symptoms and hair elsewhere is normal.

Have had two babies in the last 5 years and am still bfing the smallest one a bit, in case that is relevant. She is now 2.10, so can't think that it is birth related.

PollyPerky Fri 15-Jul-16 09:02:08

I f you've been BF for a long time you may have low oestrogen levels which can cause this - as with women who are menopausal. Are your periods ok as far as you know? Any other signs of low oestrogen like dry 'down below' or soreness?

Whitwhoo Fri 15-Jul-16 13:37:26

That's interesting. Am nearly on my 5th year of consecutive breastfeeding (fed DS until he was 2) so that would make sense. Periods are normal but a little closer together than they used to be, which would fit with low oestrogen, right? Cycle is 25 days.

PollyPerky Fri 15-Jul-16 14:28:40

Periods closer together isn't always a sign of low oestrogen. Disrupted cycles tend to be down to non ovulation and a shorter progesterone phase. I've read (here) about women who had vaginal dryness as a result ofl ong term BF and used oestrogen cream to sort it out.

Whitwhoo Fri 15-Jul-16 14:50:18

Dryness isn't a huge problem. So maybe that's not it.

Whitwhoo Fri 15-Jul-16 14:50:37

Or maybe I've just forgotten what normal is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now