Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

In agony please help!

(23 Posts)
SecretlycrushingonTomHanks Wed 13-Jul-16 16:13:37

So as the title suggests I'm currently sitting in absolute agony wishing somebody would just put me out my misery sad. Long story short I had a small hole in a back tooth that started to get a little painful at the weekend. I have an appnt next week to have the hole filled. The niggles over the weekend got a lot worse on Monday and so I made an appnt today to get it checked out and hopefully a temp fix. Today the dentist took a look and put the temporary white filling stuff on it and sent me on my way. This was about 3 1/2 hours ago and I'm now climbing the walls in pain. Taking cocodamol but it's not touching the pain. It's went from a 6/10 on the pain scale to about an 11. Anybody have any suggestions? Have called the dentist and they've said it may just be irritation because they've poked about my tooth and have made me a just in case appnt tomorrow evening for if it hasn't settled down. Somebody please help even just with some reassurance this will settle. I'm working in an hour or so and until then have a 5 year old DD who is driving me up the wall with her behaviour so really struggling and panicking about working in so much pain!

blueshoes Wed 13-Jul-16 17:00:40

Could be an infection. They bloody hurt and no painkiller touches it. Could you bring forward the dentist appt, get an emergency one. If it is an infection, you need to start on antibiotics asap. Sympathies.

Reallybadday Wed 13-Jul-16 17:04:42

Having been at the dentist for the same just recently, I sympathise. In my case, and probably yours, the pain was due to infection and subsided once I started taking antibiotics. Gargling with warm salty water really helped in the meantime as did alternating taking ibuprofen and voicemail.

SecretlycrushingonTomHanks Wed 13-Jul-16 17:07:24

The dentist said today that they didn't think it was an infection but my ear and jaw hurt as well. It's only got this bad since she touched it today! I've got an appnt tomorrow evening to go back in if its not eased off. I'm hoping it will have though and I'm just panicking over nothing.

Reallybadday Wed 13-Jul-16 17:11:47

Eh, that should be cocodamol... no idea how to take voicemail blush

SecretlycrushingonTomHanks Wed 13-Jul-16 17:12:38

At least if it isn't better tomorrow I already have an appnt to go back. God only knows what they'll do to me though.

Lifeisontheup2 Thu 14-Jul-16 09:50:53

Try taking paramol, it;s dihydracodeine and our dentist recommended it as the best painkiller for tooth pain. You can get it from the chemist.

SecretlycrushingonTomHanks Thu 14-Jul-16 09:54:21

Have woken up this morning after a codeine fuelled sleep still in pain and to discover my gum has now swollen up. I hate dentists they always hurt me and make things worse. Never been to one that's sorted a problem for me first time, always seems to take them a good few goes and them causing absolute misery inbetween angrysad. Appnt at 6pm tonight so will be spending my day with DH seeing to the kids whilst I sit in a codeine daze or grumpy because I'm in so much pain. Why are dentists so bad? Never came across good one.

SecretlycrushingonTomHanks Thu 14-Jul-16 09:56:05

I'm taking prescription strength cocodamol Life but it completely knocks me out so can only use it when somebody else is here for DC's.

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Thu 14-Jul-16 09:59:57

If your gum has swollen I would ring and demand an appt now.

Dandelion6565 Thu 14-Jul-16 10:05:05

Have you got clove oil?
You can buy it in the chemist (£3) it's amazing stuff. It numbs the tooth/gum. Then take paracetamol/ibuprofen.

It got me through exactly the same as you, I was crying in pain. Feel for you. My top tip is to put it on cotton wool and wrap the tooth in it.

SecretlycrushingonTomHanks Thu 14-Jul-16 10:06:07

I've got an appnt at 6pm Madame although I have no faith in them whatsoever now and I'm terrified what they might leave me with this time. I'm hoping they'll give me antibiotics as a just in case and maybe take this temporary filling out as it seems to have made everything worse.

Dandelion6565 Thu 14-Jul-16 10:06:20

I also used cold flannels, that helped.

gamerchick Thu 14-Jul-16 10:11:19

Can you or your husband pop to the chemist and get some oragel? It'll numb your gum up and hopefully make things more tolerable.

I feel for you, I can't function full stop with toothache.

SecretlycrushingonTomHanks Thu 14-Jul-16 10:47:57

I think that some sort of gum numbing thing is required definitely. Hopefully DH will nip to chemist for me in a wee while. Can't even face leaving the house, I think I might punch someone it's that kind of pain! confused

SecretlycrushingonTomHanks Thu 14-Jul-16 19:07:51

At the dentists now. There's bacteria got to a nerve and it's dying so I'm having root canal. Waiting for my anaesthetic to kick in. I just cried in the dentist though. Such an idiot. Not scared of injections or needles at all it's the thought that they will hurt me when carrying out the treatment as they normally always do. Absolutely peeing my pants in the waiting room.

gamerchick Thu 14-Jul-16 19:25:30

Ah you should feel more comfortable now. Hopefully you'll have a more peaceful night flowers

blueshoes Thu 14-Jul-16 20:30:41

The anaesthetic should do the work. The root canal will take a few visits and is not pleasant at times, but should not be particularly painful. You will feel better after it. Hope it goes well.

SecretlycrushingonTomHanks Thu 14-Jul-16 20:51:56

No root canal whoop! Have an abscess caused by a piece of food that had been wedged in the small hole in my tooth and wedged in further by yesterday's dentist giving me the temporary filling. So tonight I had a lovely dentist who gave me my first ever pain free treatment. Got a filling and antibiotics for my abscess. Going to be sore for another day or 2 but gosh am I glad that's over.

Reallybadday Thu 14-Jul-16 20:56:39

Glad you got it sorted. Toothache is the worst pain.

SecretlycrushingonTomHanks Thu 14-Jul-16 21:43:14

It so is it actually changes your personality I tho j. I've been so grumpy and short with everyone and couldn't stand listening or talking to anyone either. Hoping that's the worst over now though. So glad for mumsnet. Reading threads on here and writing on this thread has kept me occupied whilst my mouth was unbareably sure. Think DH was a bit peed off that I was constantly on my phone or sleeping because of the painkillers but it's all that's kept me sane!

blueshoes Thu 14-Jul-16 22:48:55

Glad you got it sorted

spoony39 Sat 16-Jul-16 13:54:56

I would recommend 2 co codamol and 2 ibuprofen together, that and a hot water bottle together helps, sensodyne also do quite a good rapid relief toothpaste if you bare it, and cor softy mouthwash numbs the mouth quite a bit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now