Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

When to take meds

(4 Posts)
Ploppymoodypants Tue 12-Jul-16 23:28:43

So... Can anyone figure out when I should take my meds. Just come out of hospital. I have 2 X meds. One lot to be taken every 8 hours with food. The other lot every six hours to be taken on an empty stomach an hour before food (this leaves a 3 hour period of no eating if I go by NHS guidelines that stomach is empty after 2 hours of no food). I would also like to try and get 6 hours sleep in the night time. My befuddled unwell mind can't figure out the maths. Could anyone help me please? It feels like a maths GCSE question. Thank you

tobee Wed 13-Jul-16 01:00:50

Can't help (failed maths o level) but huge sympathies. Been in similar situation. Such a pita.

MountainDweller Wed 13-Jul-16 01:01:31

Hi... I love puzzles like this. It does sound like a GCSE maths question! You will either have to eat at strange times or build in some snacks/eat more meals but smaller ones I think. If the ones to take with food are anti-inflamatories, make sure your accompanying snacks are generous! You could try this, or move it all an hour earlier if that suits better

7am pill 2 (the empty stomach one)
8am breakfast, pill 1 (the take with food one)
11 am snack (you will need it given the late lunch!)
1pm pill 2
2pm lunch
4pm snack, pill 1
7pm pill 2
8pm dinner
12 midnight snack, pill 1
If you get to sleep by 1am you will get your 6 hours. Also you can doze between your first dose of pill 2 and breakfast....

pippinandtog Wed 13-Jul-16 09:18:28

Sometimes "every 8 hours" can just mean 3 times a day, and "every six hours" can be 4 times a day.
You could then take the first with each of 3 meals, and the latter two hours before.
I f you have been discharged from hospital with medication, you should have an information leaflet in the bag from the pharmacy, with a contact number to phone with any queries: give them a ring and I'm sure they'll advise you.
Better than worrying while you have enough to think of in getting better; you just need to know that you are taking medication for its best effect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now