Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Asthma and GP appointments

(13 Posts)
MrBennofFestivalRoad Tue 12-Jul-16 18:06:04

Is anyone aware of any guidance regarding asthma and GP appointments? I have a wheezy painful chest and awful cough that has been going on for a few weeks; I don't like to take antibiotics unless absolutely necessary/I have signs of infection, so had held on but now but am feeling really uncomfortable. I went in to the GP's today to try to book an appointment, coughing and short of breath, but was told that I had to wait until August! The alternative is their call on the day system but that's when I'm on the school run and it's a bit of a bun fight where when you finally manage to get through there's nothing left and you get told to try again the next day. I've never been hospitalised with asthma, so it's less serious than some but I would have expected to be able to get an appointment for a few days time.

MrBennofFestivalRoad Tue 12-Jul-16 18:11:29

I also meant to say that I said to the receptionist that I had asthma and thought that I needed antibiotics but she said that she couldn't overide the appointment system.

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Tue 12-Jul-16 18:19:16

I'm still upset about mine I've been struggling breathing since fri used all my inhaler was in tears on mon and today no appointments and I'm not classed as emergency. It has wiped me out completely. I've just found a company online to order more inhalers from. I'm not in the right frame of mind to reply to letter about my annual review about how important it is, I've been trying to get an appointment forever as I can't manage my asthma these last few months.

Owlcat Tue 12-Jul-16 18:28:52

Sorry to hear that you're suffering too. I'm not sure of the precise details but Asda pharmacies have a scheme where you can buy salbutamol inhalers without a prescription, online companies shouldn't be selling them though, so I would check them out carefully before buying.

Owlcat Tue 12-Jul-16 18:30:04

Sorry, I am the OP, my ID switched on my tablet :-)

Toocold Tue 12-Jul-16 18:32:47

Do you have an asthma nurse instead of a gp? They should be able to get a prescription sorted for you. Alternatively what about out of hours doctors, is there one nearby? Or if it gets worse a+e , you can't be too careful with asthma. I really feel for you, it's horrid.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Tue 12-Jul-16 18:33:37

Many doctors are like this now, call on the day for urgent appointment, pre-book for non-urgent.

I know its a pain, I work an hour from home so call at 8 when it opens and I'm already at work to have to then come home again or pick up the kid who needs to go etc, but tbh with the system as stretched as it is, I'm just happy to get an appointment!

Can't you go down there at opening and make an appointment same day that way? I know you can at ours.

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Tue 12-Jul-16 18:34:02

I know owl I did try research and found out about Asda's but I don't live near one. I've even used my dS inhaler. Wish I lived back in London as they seemed to take asthma a lot more serious than where I am now.

MrBennofFestivalRoad Tue 12-Jul-16 18:47:11

The asthma nurse is just as difficult to get an appointment with, usually a 1-2 month wait. GPs operate a system where you can only can call between 8.30-9am for a same day appointment and then open at 9am, the line is constantly engaged, so hard to call from school run and if/when you do get through they're often all booked up, so you're told to try again the next day. I also don't work locally, which makes it more difficult.

BusStopBetty Tue 12-Jul-16 19:04:12

That's not acceptable. If you've told them that you've suffering an exacerbation of asthma symptoms they need to book you in as an emergency. If they can't do this then it warrants a formal complaint to the practice manager. Asthma kills, the reception post should not book you in for next bloody month. What she can, and should do, is speak to the GP who can call you back, or override the bloody system.

Is there a walk in clinic you can attend? Or,, if you get worse, go to A&E.

Have you called 111? They should be able to tell you where you can go.

Owlcat Tue 12-Jul-16 21:57:18

We live rurally, so no walk in clinics and the hospital where you also get sent to by 111 for out of hours is 30+ mile round trip. Feeling a bit better after lots of inhaler and have arranged for someone else to do the school run on Friday morning, so I can make a more concerted effort at trying to book an appointment then.

wfrances Wed 13-Jul-16 13:24:02

can you speak to a gp for advice ? they could write something out.
do you have a ooh ?my asthma seemed to get worse at night.
can you phone asthma nurse (i have a direct number -they always get back)
mine can prescribe.
since changing to fostair i havent had any flare ups.(touch wood)

Musicaltheatremum Wed 13-Jul-16 17:57:34

And yet again I despair at GP surgeries who allow their receptionists with the least training to make decisions whether someone can see a GP or not. In our surgery it would go like this.
Patient: I would like to see GP.
Receptionist: I'm sorry we're fully booked today, I can give you an appt in 2 days (if you're lucky) or you can phone back tomorrow at 8 am or I can give you something in a week.
P: I've got asthma and my breathing has been worse over the last few weeks/days.
R: oh right. Well I can put a message in for the duty doctor and she (only one male Dr) will call you back.
Duty Dr calls back and arranges to see patient later on that morning.

Of course it doesn't always run this smoothly but once we are fully booked we always make room for urgent stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now