Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tonsillitis..again

(2 Posts)
Lovelise Tue 12-Jul-16 07:45:41

I'm in bed with tonsillitis. It's the 4th time I've had it this year.

The doctor said that they probably would be unwilling to take tonsils out in adults.

Has anyone come across this and how did you overcome resistance?

I have a 2 year old and full time job. I can't be ill all the time!

Finch82 Wed 13-Jul-16 12:10:48

Oh no! I was a sufferer of recurrent tonsillitis all through my teens and I feel for you-it's awful! I think from the age of 13 to the age of 17 I had a constant sore throat. My tonsils swelled to being bigger than golf balls and they became all scarred and pitted from infection. My mum took me to the GP constantly. He refused to refer me to an ENT consultant as he had had his taken out as an adolescent and had suffered complications. GPs really don't like referring patients and instead prefer to prescribe antibiotics.

In the end I snogged a boy from up the road and ended up having a horrific infection (bleurgh). Me and mum returned to GP to find out usual doctor had emigrated to Australia. New GP referred me without blinking! Had them out at 17.

It isn't a nice operation once you're grown up. Complications include infection (I know someone who had them out as an adult, got a full body infection and needed 6 months off work) and heamorage (I know someone who needed 2 blood transfusions). If you have it done, be prepared to eat rough foods from day 1 to help the healing otherwise you just create a superficial scab. You must stay in and avoid infection for at least a fortnight. Be prepared for horrid pain!

Given how bad mine got, it was the best thing I ever did having them taken out; I hardly ever get sore throats and I can snog who I want wink

I got referred after years of suffering with it though. See how bad yours get. Gargling with hot boiled salty water was the best thing for mine. If it's really ruining your life, try a different GP. Eventually you'll find someone who sympathises.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now