Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Vasectomy information needed!!!!

(10 Posts)
futurelotterywinner Mon 11-Jul-16 21:57:26

Hubby has agreed to consider having a vasectomy. He is completely terrified of the procedure. He has watched the NHS DVD and knows what the procedure entails but wants to know more information about finer details such as, 'are you covered up as much as possible with just your balls out or are you just naked from the waist down?'
It sounds petty, I am not completely sympathetic after having two children, and am falling in the 'man up and get on with it' camp, but understand how petrified he is of it and small details such as this would really help him to know what to expect!

So, If your partner/hubbies have had the snip - what was their experience 'in the room' when having the procedure? Any information greatly received!!!!
Thanks Ladies

TryingtobePrepared Mon 11-Jul-16 22:58:41

Don't know much about in the room but much less painful then he expected said bit achy or sore not painful back at work the next day has been recon mending to friends good luck

DragonRojo Tue 12-Jul-16 06:48:55

He was covered except for the essential bits. It was less painful than expected, but still had to rest for a whole day, just sitting in the sofa watching telly. The all clear took a long time: about 6 months

futurelotterywinner Tue 12-Jul-16 19:02:53

Thank you ladies!

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!!!! Genuinely the bit he is most concerned about is laying with his willy on show and feeling vulnerable lol! He was dead against having it for ages, but has realised it needs to be done and that it's only fair after me sorting contraception for the past 13 years and having two children and going through labour! He's very squeamish about everything so this is a big step for him! Waiting list is 27 months (can't afford privately) so it's a long time for him to stew and worry! Your responses really will help put his mind at rest! X

TheFuzz Mon 25-Jul-16 01:15:51

No I was naked from the wast with my willy sellotape down to my stomach. I'd research PVPS if I was you both.

I've had PVPS 4 years and surgery and injections into my nuts. 1 in 10 men get it. Your GP won tell you about it. Drugs don't work and even high doses of morphine won't stop the pain.

If he's worried about flashing his bits then I'm afraid it's all out. Especially if you get PVPS. Everyone is poking about.

Addictedtohotbaths1 Mon 25-Jul-16 16:14:06

TheFuzz I'm sorry you have had such a crap time but thank you for posting, it's made me decide not to push my husband to get a vasectomy. I'm sure he will thank you too.

TheFuzz Tue 26-Jul-16 15:20:02

Please take a look at patient.info Web site. Lots of men with issues and many going for reversal at cost

I would doubly research any surgery. I was recently in a serious accident and fractured my spine badly just mm off being paralysed. The consultant was very honest and knew of my surgery problem. He said any surgery can go wrong. My option was surgery and bolting my spine together or a very lengthy hospital stay being immobilised and then months of a spinal brace. We opted for no surgery as I could move my legs. Surgery had a big enough risk of paralysis but nothing like 1 in 10 for PVPS.

The snip also carries the risk of Testosterone loss due to damage to nerves and blood supplies, which happened to me.

Please research side effects first. I would strongly recommend researching other contraception. We both wish we had stuck to condoms after my wife stopped the pill.

scaevola Tue 26-Jul-16 15:26:27

"it's only fair after me sorting contraception for the past 13 years and having two children and going through labour!"

This isn't a fair comparison.

Men cannot be pregnant as biological fact. You cannot say it is 'unfair' that only the person biologically capable of being pregnant is the one that does it.

You can however take turns with reversible contraception. So that could be his for the next 13 years.

Neither of you has yet had surgery to permanently modify your body to remove future fertility. So this is a brand new area for you, and neither of you has had a turn yet.

Read up on PVPS as TheFuzz recommends. Vasectomy is not a trivial procedure, and the frequency and severity of side effects are routinely overlooked.

validusername Tue 26-Jul-16 15:26:46

My DH has a vasectomy 3 years ago, he only had to wait a couple of weeks though not 27 months!

He said he was covered except for his bits as it is a surgical procedure and they will need to ensure sterile techniques are adhered to.

He was in a pain for a few days and had bruised balls as to be expected (one of his tubes was extra tricky to find due to an undescended testicle as a child) but no complications and hasn't regretted it.

scaevola Tue 26-Jul-16 15:27:36

One top tip from DH is to put Vicks or Tiger Balm round the nostrils to obliterated the scent of lightly fried bollock.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now