Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Could I have had a subarachnoid hemorrage?

(7 Posts)
RestlessTraveller Mon 11-Jul-16 09:56:40

2 weeks ago I was hit with a sudden and extreme pain in my head. I fell to the floor, couldn't get up, vomited etc. My parter called 111 and they said I needed an emergency ambulance. 2 hours later we were still waiting and the pain had started to subside and I was overcome with extreme tiredness so we cancelled the ambulance. It has taken me up until Saturday to see my GP he has now referred me for CAT scan and said there is a possibility I may have had a subarachnoid hemorrage. I've since done some research and although the description fits almost exactly I think I can't possibly have had this as apart from mild headaches and feeling a bit tired I feel fine. What do people think?

BooSurprise Mon 11-Jul-16 10:01:19

My patients used to describe having a sub arachnoid like being hit on the back of the head with a sledge hammer, but they then all had ongoing symptoms, did your symptoms completely subside?

RestlessTraveller Mon 11-Jul-16 10:07:22

I felt really spaced out for about 2 days after. Since then just dull achey headaches and fatigue.

gobbin Mon 11-Jul-16 19:31:50

Sounds possible, the scan will confirm it I imagine.
DH had a SAH 18m ago but didn't have the classic sudden headache, he just collapsed (in a work meeting, embarrassing!).

He had it sealed the same day and had two weeks in hospital. After a variety of other issues immediately afterwards, he still struggles with fatigue, can't concentrate on more than one thing (even more so than before, if that's even possible! 😆), is very quick to rise to full on Mr Grumpy about the slightest thing and has a permanent niggling headache.

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Mon 11-Jul-16 19:38:08

My mum had a SAH a year ago. At the time she had a seizure and afterwards extreme tiredness and number blindness so she couldn't phone for help.

This wore off within a few days and doctors said she is fine. No underlying cause, they suspect she may have had a weak spot in her vein which ruptured eventually. She has no long term symptoms other than musical ear syndrome, which she doesn't mind as she lives alone and says it keep her entertained!

LotsOfDots Mon 11-Jul-16 19:41:51

A CT scan 2 weeks down the line is extremely unlikely to confirm the diagnosis - they are only helpful for acute presentation.

Musicaltheatremum Mon 11-Jul-16 20:29:13

I would be sending you up acutely with that history. CT scan may not show much but you may need cerebral angiography. (Look as arteries in brain)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now