Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Methotrexate

(10 Posts)
nokidshere Sun 10-Jul-16 23:26:48

I've had psoriasis all of my life (I am 55) and have recently been diagnosed with rheumatiod arthritis and psoriatic arthritis.

The Dr wants to start me on methotrexate this week and (thanks to google) I'm a tad apprehensive about it.

Does anyone here take it and if so can you share how it makes you feel and what side effects you might have had please?

salvadory Sun 10-Jul-16 23:48:01

My mum had this after I badgered her for years to treat her psoriasis with something more potent than steroids and emollients. Sorry to say that she hated it, it had side effects that she found intolerable and did not sort her psoriasis. I hoped that the dr would give her a monoclonal antibody such as infliximab but apparently guidance then states methotrexate must be tried first.

GinThief Sun 10-Jul-16 23:53:32

I was on methotrexate for 6 years. Really struggled with the tablets ( D&V for 4 days, 2 days "rest", then ill again after next dose) ...but I had to take it to get funding for the anti-tnfs(etanercept, infliximab etc). Had numerous different anti-tnfs and also switched to injecting methotrexate which slightly eased sickness. It's a hard drug to take and is labelled "low dose chemotherapy". But it does work well and helped improve my mobility alongside other drugs too. Good luck flowers

ClaireLumia Mon 11-Jul-16 20:07:03

I take 17.5mg by injection every 10 days and, if I'm not too nauseous, will increase to weekly. I started with tablets but they made me feel too ill so I changed to injection which is better. I still felt sick so my rheumatologist increased the amount of folic acid I take to every day except on the days I have methotrexate. I feel slightly queasy the next day (I inject at bedtime) but not too much.

nokidshere Tue 12-Jul-16 16:16:47

Thanks everyone!

I picked it up this morning and am going to take my first dose on Friday night so I have the weekend to assess any symptoms i have.

Still nervous though!

Sidge Tue 12-Jul-16 16:25:52

I've been on it for 3.5 years for RA. Started with oral but then was switched to injectable as I wasn't getting a good response.

I had nausea from some of my other RA meds but not the methotrexate. I can't attribute any particular side effects from it; I do take it in the evening as it makes me tired taking it in the morning but that might be coincidence!

It works well for me; I have worked my way up to Humira as mtx and sulphasalazine alone doesn't do it for me and I have seasonal flares. I tried hydroxychloroquine as a triple therapy but that made me really sick.

Good luck!

littlemissneela Wed 13-Jul-16 14:18:33

My dd was on it for JIA and it helped her in the beginning, but soon stopped working. She did get awful side effects, which then impacted on her mood. She is 16, so a lot is prob hormonal, so might not apply to you. She found it made her feel really sick and tired so she would have rubbish school all week, have the injection Friday night and then spend her weekends in bed, for it all to start again on Monday.
She did feel worse taking the tablets than the injection.
I do onow someone who uses it and it works really well for her and she doesnt get the side affects. She is late 40's/ early 50's.
I hope it helps you.

Imnotaslimjim Wed 13-Jul-16 14:23:26

A lady I cared for was on it for years for psoriatic arthritis. She initially tried the tablets but they really didn't agree with her. She now has it injected weekly. For a couple of hours on dose day she's a little out of sorts but is fine after that.

Fuckoffdailymailnobs Wed 13-Jul-16 19:27:33

I inject 25mg weekly for psoriatic arthritis and don't notice any side affects.Take at bedtime. I wouldn't be able to walk without it. I had some nausea on tablets but not enough to stop taking it. Try not to worry most people do well in it.

nokidshere Fri 22-Jul-16 01:02:59

well I am about to take my second dose tomorrow.

I am astounded at how well its worked even in just 6 days! I can clench my hands into a fist. use a knife to peel and chop vegetables, stand up straight, walk a short distance - all things i have been unable to do for about 2 years and now can WITHOUT PAIN!!!

I felt a bit sick for 2 days, my eyes were red and gritty for about 12 hours and felt very tired for about 48 hours but all minor and all worth it just to be able to move about.

Now I am crossing my fingers that it works just as well next week.

Thanks for all your input.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now