Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breastfeeding lump

(3 Posts)
celeryeater Thu 07-Jul-16 12:11:55

I've been breastfeeding my daughter for 7 weeks and I have noticed a painless lump in my left breast. It came on when she was about 3 weeks old but eventually went (when I checked my breasts as you would for cancer) last Wednesday i got mastitis and was put on a course of antibiotics. I feel much better now but I can notice the lump again. It's big, about the size of an avocado. It doesn't hurt unless I press it a lot and doesn't seem to move about. It feels king of round and flat though. I am terrified it could be cancer as my mum had breast cancer several times when I was growing up and eventually died of it. I'm 31.went to the doctors and she just dismissed me with another course of antibiotics which I haven't taken because I don't think i have an infection. Made another appointment for next Tuesday where I will beg for an ultra sound. Any one have any positive experiences or advice about this?

MoreGilmoreGirls Thu 07-Jul-16 12:15:55

I came on to say it could be a blocked milk duct, I had one when breastfeeding DS 1 however that lump does sound large so I would urge you to get a second opinion just in case. Hopefully someone will be along with more experience. Fingers crossed all is ok for you. Try not to worry flowers

GloGirl Fri 08-Jul-16 11:01:19

Sounds like a blocked milk duct to me. Mastitis is an infection of the breast tissue when milk seeps into it. You can have a blocked duct and no infection (I have had plenty)

Be aware if you're taking antibiotics you or baby might be more prone to getting thrush (red nipples and pain for you, white spots in mouth for baby).

Can you see a white spot on your nipple or something like a white blister? They're called milk bless if you pop it you might find your avocado lump drains dramatically (pop it in shower!)
Try massaging and hand expressing the lump as much as you can flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now